100 gallon Oscar tank progress

• LeafsFan
  • LeafsFan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15

LeafsFan created the topic: 100 gallon Oscar tank progress

I figured I would put an update on about my 100 gallon tank I'm getting.

I'm finally getting close I got my new filstar xl canister filter today, and my tank is supposed to be here tomorrow or the next day. I threw my new filter on my old tank to just to hopefully speed up the cycling of it.

My Oscar should be in his new home within one week. I had to paint the room before the new tank comes and now I have to move and re-pipe my water heater to make room and finally I have to build a stand and then it will be all set up and ready to go.

Any suggestions or pointers to assist me in the move would be greatly appreciated too ahahah thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:100 gallon Oscar tank progress

One of the other member dnlb8 built some beautiful stands see if he can give ya some pointers

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: 100 gallon Oscar tank progress

It can't hurt to remind you of the importance of getting the tank as perfectly level as possible on the stand, and to have the top of the stand absolutely flat so the weight of the tank is equally distributed around the bottom.

• LeafsFan
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

LeafsFan replied the topic: 100 gallon Oscar tank progress

Yeah I'm going to make sure everything is good before I even attempt to put water into it, I can only imagine 100 gallons on my bedroom floor ahahah my bed will float right out the door :laugh: . Once I get the stuff to build the stand I will find a good looking stand online and try to follow that the best I can.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: 100 gallon Oscar tank progress

Leave a minimum 6ins from the wall and back of tank. You may in the future change plans/tanks or filters. Any hob or canister lines will work with a 6in clearance. I build my own stands, cheap but strong. 2x4 and 3/4 plywood. Gloss spray paint to cover raw wood. Some debate throughout the hobby as to the use of styrofoam as a leveling proponent. I use it on my bigger (over 100) tanks, contrary to the manufacturer's claim it will damage tanks and void the warranty. Simply, I dont believe what they say, I think its just a way for them to not honor an original warranty.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• LeafsFan
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

I was thinking on going with something like that. I was wondering about carpet though for leveling the tank, I don't know if it would make a difference for the better or worse. I have the longer type of carpet in that room I don't really know the name of it but it's not like the short burber or whatever it's called ( I'm not up on my flooring ) lol. Right now I have my 46 gallon on it but that is on a stand that came with the tank with a solid base but that seems to be fine on the carpet.

Carpet wont matter, the tank weight will compress that. Use the same tape measure for everything. If you are good with a circular saw, that works. If not, try to get your hands on a chop saw and table saw. Lumber yard(Rona, Home Depot) will also cut your wood for you.

• LeafsFan
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

I got a table saw and circular saw but I wouldn't trust myself with the cuts and it being level considering how level and strong it has to be so I will probably use my father as my designated cutter ahahah

No time right now, as I am heading in for night shift, but I will shoot you some pics of a couple of my stands when I get some time. Thursday maybe. Not difficult at all to slap a sturdy stand together. 9 of my 11 tanks are on homemade stands, even have a couple double deckers.

• LeafsFan
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Thanks. I would appreciate that it would help a whole lot.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds