New tank

• breddrin
  • breddrin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

breddrin created the topic: New tank

Well guys my 175 gallon is ready for set up. So I am deciding to keep a pair of oscars and two plecos. I currently have a fx5 fluval and I am wondering what else is a good idea for filtration. Looking forward for suggestions thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: New tank

Great tank for a pair of Oscars. You may want to reconsider 2 plecos though. 1 would be plenty. Your FX5.. is it established? Been running on another tank for some time? I also have a pair of Oscars in a 180g, they are large adults. I have an FX5, Filstar xpxl and an Aquaclear 110. This is not "too much" filtration. You should have at minimum an AC110 to run with the FX.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• breddrin
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

breddrin replied the topic: Re:New tank

So I will need some additional filtration ok and yes my fx5 is established. But my oscars is about 3 inches at the moment. About the two plecos I just curious is two plecos will be overcrowding the tank or for other reasons

• breddrin
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

U was also thinking of buying a fx6 to add with the fx5 when they get bigger

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:New tank

Depending on the species of pleco, the bioload would be very high. Larger plecs, like commons or Sailfins do well in Oscar tanks, smaller ones oft times are possible snacks once Oscars can figure a way to grab them. Your tank would stay much cleaner with no pleco. If you must have one, prepare for more water changes and thorough substrate vacs. Probably the messiest fish you can have in any tank.

• breddrin
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Suprd71 do you have only a pair of oscars in your tank or do you have tank mates if any can you list them

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: New tank

But my oscars is about 3 inches at the moment......

Oscars of any size put a tremendous strain on filtration......& like Suprd71 stated, plecos are worse. I have a 11" common pleco.....the waste he leaves behind is mind-boggling!! :sick:

I would recommend getting a wet/dry tricle filter going (sump)..........load up w/ bio-balls & you will have unparalleled biological filtration, once the BB colony matures.

Regardless of filtration, you will still need to perform weekly WC's.........I have an Oscar & the afore-mentioned pleco in a 125GL that is heavily filtered, & still perform 75% weekly WC's.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

No tankmates.. they are a m/f pair, both over a foot long. I had a large Sailfin plec with them, and plec put out more waste than both Oscars combined. In the interest of water quality, I moved the plec to a different tank that houses only 1 adult Oscar. While your little Oscars may look out of place in a large tank, their growth rate will quickly use up all the area and volume. Should your Oscars get along as they grow, your tank will make a great long term home

• breddrin
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

So I am taking your advice no plecos lol just my two oscars I currently have six oscars in an outdoor pond so I will be selecting a pair for my tank and I will add more filtration system to my tank. Thanks for suggestions I will keep you updated.

Very good breddin.. appreciate you following advice. Look forward to seeing your new tank in action.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds