would 55 gallon tank be pushing it too far??

• norman
  • norman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

norman created the topic: would 55 gallon tank be pushing it too far??

hi have 2 new oscars jonah and phillip in a 55 gallon/ 200 litre tank with a 1400 litre hour canister and an 800 litre hour HOB filter my question is they are only small right now about 3-5 inches will they be ok in this tank for about one year as i cannot buy a bigger tank until i move to a place with a concrete floor?

here is a video of them

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: would 55 gallon tank be pushing it too far??

That's a nice looking tank. Good video also.

Unfortunately, 55 gallons is considered the absolute minimum tank size for 1 oscar, some say 75 gallons is a more appropriate minimum. Within a year, they'll likely grow to be between 8-12" each and wil produce so much waste, you would have to perform 50% water changes with gravel vacs every other day. With the other cichlids in the tank and the lack of swimming space with the driftwood, aggression will also likely be a big problem. A likely outcome in a setup like this is the fish will become ill and die before you get them into a larger tank (minimum 125-150 gallon).

The tank is terrific for the ... were they bolivian rams? You could rehome both oscars and have a dwarf cichlid tank (something I've wanted to have), or return/rehome one oscar and the dwarf cichlids, remove the wood and plants, and have one oscar in the tank.

• Thank you received: 158

Goranothos replied the topic: would 55 gallon tank be pushing it too far??

I agree with UNC-CH.

You would be *amazed* at how big an O can get in one year.

55 gal is simply not big enough for two Os. It's barely big enough for one O, and nothing else.

Curious, are you renting? I have had a 150 gallon tank in my second floor dining room for over a year now, and it is still just a level as when I installed it. I did make sure to put the length of the tank perpendicular to the floor joists and put it against a weight bearing wall. Not saying you should do anything like that. If 55 gal is all you are comfortable with, then I respect that. I was nervous when I first installed mine, but now I don't think anything about it. We had the family over for Thanksgiving this year and five adults plus the fish tank all in the dining room.

“Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.” -Mike Tyson

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: would 55 gallon tank be pushing it too far??

Here's an article that should explain a few things in regards to your question:

www.oscarfishlover.com/oscar-fish-care-sheet

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: would 55 gallon tank be pushing it too far??

Re tanks on upper floors. I have 125, 75 and 55g tanks on the same upper level. As stated, keeping on outside, load bearing walls is safe and not an issue. Provided your building is constructed with a modicum of proper methods.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• norman
  • norman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

norman replied the topic: would 55 gallon tank be pushing it too far??

Thanks for ur help guys I just bought a 75 gallon tank seems pritty solid on floor now for my replan for fish stocking
Right now I have
2 Oscars young
1 firemouth cichlid
1 syndotis decorus
1 whiptail catfish
3 Bolivian rams

Planning on selling one Oscar and rams
Now could I add one or two more cichlids around same size as the firemouth or not? And also should I just get rid of my plants in the tank thinking they just might get destroyed?

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: would 55 gallon tank be pushing it too far??

It would be best if you just kept the oscar. I have my oscar in a 75 gallon by himself and he takes up the tank well. It's much better for the health of your fish if you don't overstock. And, you'll end up performing fewer water changes. Even with my single oscar in a 75 gallon, I need to change 50% of the water every 5 days to keep nitrates from getting out of control.

As for the plants, if you have another tank for them it would probably be best to move them. Otherwise, although it's rare, some oscars won't attack plants. Still, you might want to remove them now before they're possibly tossed everywhere.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: would 55 gallon tank be pushing it too far??

You've been told the same thing in a different thread.......you simply don't have enough room for this stock list, regardless of what you plan to sell or the filtration you put on it......either keep the Oscar or keep the rest, which should be fine in a 75GL....overstocking leads to stress, which inhibits a fishes ability to produce their slime coat, which leads to disease/parasites, not to mention you will have very poor water quality, which also causes stress, regardless of the filtration you have.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds