what do i need for my oscar

• aliop121
  • aliop121's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

aliop121 created the topic: what do i need for my oscar

have a 75 aquarium i am getting one oscar for it and i just want to know what i need for it i already got this tetra aqua safe which is like an anti chlorine < what else do i need to keep the oscar healthy and what do i do when an oscar gets (hole in the head ) thank you and any pointers on what to feed oscars will be greatly appreciated THANKS :))

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: what do i need for my oscar

Hello and welcome to the site. You have a good tank, and conditioner. Most important, BEFORE you add a fish is to have the tank cycled. That is to have your filters seeded with the beneficial bacteria needed to process the ammonia produced by your fish. Do you understand how the nitrogen cycle works in an aquarium? Oscar will not get hith if you follow a good water change schedule. Everything you need to know is right here, but important to start at square 1, and thats with a proper cycle.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 158

Goranothos replied the topic: what do i need for my oscar

Welcome to the forum.

A 75 gallon is a good size tank for one Oscar, and no other fish. First of all, what kind of filtration do you have? Oscars are messy, and generally need a filter that is rated for twice the tank size you have. So, you need a filter rated for at least a 150 gallon tank. A couple of good choices are a Rena XP4 (XPXL) or an Eheim 2217. Those are both canister filters that go underneath the tank. Another popular choice on this forum is an Aquaclear 110 HOB (hang on back) filter, but I wouldn't rely on that as my only filter in an Oscar tank. It certainly doesn't hurt to run more than one filter. It's hard to overfilter a cichlid tank.

Another thing you will need is a quality water test kit. This is the one we recommend:

www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B000255NCI

The tetra aqua safe is good, but our favorite water conditioner on these forums is Prime:

www.amazon.com/Seachem-116043304-Prime-500ml/dp/B00025694O/r...?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1420121963&sr=1-1&keywords=prime

One thing you are going to have to get used to is doing frequent partial water changes. Go ahead and get it in your head now that you will need to do minimum 50% - 75% water change at least once a week. Probably twice a week when the Oscar gets some size on him. Go ahead and do yourself a favor and get one of these:

www.amazon.com/25-Foot-Python-Aquarium-Maintenance/dp/B00025...&ie=UTF8&qid=1420122082&sr=1-1&keywords=python+water+changer

No point in carrying buckets these days. The easier you make the water change process, the more likely you will be to actually do them.

As for food, a quality cichlid pellet should be the staple of your Oscar's diet. Here is a good example:

www.amazon.com/Hikari-8-8-Ounce-Cichlid-Floating-Pellets/dp/...supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1420122175&sr=1-1&keywords=cichlid+gold

Don't overfeed. Once a day is plenty. Give him as much as he will eat in less than 30 seconds. Oscars are voracious eaters and will beg for food like you wouldn't believe. Don't give in an overfeed.

Good luck and feel free to ask questions. Please post some pictures when you get set up.

“Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.” -Mike Tyson
The following user(s) said Thank You: S.S.

• benmcfadden
  • Loose Lips Sink Ships
  • Thank you received: 877

benmcfadden replied the topic: what do i need for my oscar

Yeash, if you water change regularly your fish will not get sick

Haku, I knew your were good.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: what do i need for my oscar

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:what do i need for my oscar

Welcome to OFL. Good for you doing the research and asking the right questions. You'll get setup properly and have healthy fish with the great advice you'll get here. Do lots of reading on the nitrogen cycle of an aquarium so you understand well as mentioned. Very important. Then do the cycling and in a month or 2 you'll have a perfect setup and be ready for an Oscar. Take the time to decide what Oscar you want and if you see a nice one you want in a local store they may even hold it for you.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:what do i need for my oscar

And by the way if you do look at fish at any local stores.. DO NOT under any circumstance let them talk you into getting fish before your tank is ready or give them money for anything you don't need. They WILL try to sell you stuff you won't need and they WILL try to send you home with fish before the tank is ready. Their goal is to sell you stuff as soon as you come through the door. Get the filter you need, an API master test kit, a python water changer too will make your life easy as they need large frequent water changes, and then let people here guide you through the cycle process. Once your test are where they should be, the tank is cycled and then it will be time to get the Oscar.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: what do i need for my oscar

And the store will likely tell you that you do not need to wait until your tank is cycled to get an oscar. Don't listen to people at the stores. Listen to the members here who have decades and in some cases a lifetime of experience with oscars and fish in general. The store's motivation is to sell you things. Our motivation is to see you succeed.

• Thank you received: 35

AZ Steve replied the topic: what do i need for my oscar

Sounds like everyone has you covered on how to get going. Welcome aboard lots of great info and advice to be had here. Patience during the cycle processe is very important as it can take awhile. Just read how the nitrogen cycle works and you should be good

• Thank you received: 97

ernie replied the topic: Re:what do i need for my oscar

Good to see your plan is only one oscar they do not get lonely and do not need tank mates.Lots of good advice given and plenty of questions members always happy to help.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds