Baby oscars in small tank

• render777
  • render777's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

render777 created the topic: Baby oscars in small tank

Hello I have 2 x 5.5cm oscars that I recently bought, however I am keeping them in a 20 gallon tank.

My question is, how long can I leave them in it? How big do they have to get before I move them into my 100 gallon tank

(btw I cant put them in the big tank now as Im using it for something else)

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Baby oscars in small tank

Hello and welcome to the site. 20g in grossly insufficient for 1 Oscar of any size, so obviously worse for 2. They are a fast growing, territorial fish that produces a huge amount of waste, even when small. Time to move is now. And, fyi, even a 100g tank s not enough to house 2 for any longer than a few months.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Baby oscars in small tank

Do yourself & those Oscars a favor......take them back to the LFS or wherever you got them.....you are not set up right now for a single Oscar let alone 2. Oscars, regardless of current size, need a 75GL tank for a single specimen, along w/ mature biological & efficient mechanical filtration. Keeping them in a tiny tank like a 20GL for any length of time is dooming them to stunting & exponentially increasing the risk of disease, & that includes HITH.

I have to ask the question......it appears from your statement that you know a 20GL is insufficient for Oscars....why would you purchase them, or who gave you the info this would be OK for any length of time?

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• render777
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

render777 replied the topic: Baby oscars in small tank

They are really small, and the tank has a filter, I didnt think they would need such a large space since they are babies

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Baby oscars in small tank

They wont be babes for long. Oscars have the fastest growth rate of any cichlid in the hobby. If you are determined to raise an Oscar, your best path forward is to select the one you like best and give your 100g to that fish alone. They require big space, excessive filtration and large regular doses of fresh water.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• render777
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I understand, thats why my question was how long can I keep it in? 2 months? 3 months? more? less?

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Baby oscars in small tank

I wouldn't keep one 2" (~5cm) oscar for more than 6 weeks in a cycled tank that small, and that's only for quarantine purposes where the fish is fed only twice a week. Every week that single fish would need at least one 90% water change.

I would not do 2 oscars in a tank that small.

• render777
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

@rocksor I see thank you, I got my answer now

• Thank you received: 15

LeafsFan replied the topic: Baby oscars in small tank

I have a single oscar in a 100 gallon and I would recommend it for sure. Occupies the tank very well himself and he is very happy and entertaining in his own space. Since I moved him to the bigger tank he is way more active. At first I didn't like the sound of a 100 gallon to a single fish but its actually surprising how active and happy he is alone. 1 happy fish is better then 2 unhappy fish. I figured the tank change would make him stressed too but soon as he went in he swam for hours straight :woohoo:

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Baby oscars in small tank

render777 wrote: I understand, thats why my question was how long can I keep it in? 2 months? 3 months? more? less?

I refer to my previous statement:

"Keeping them in a tiny tank like a 20GL for any length of time is dooming them to stunting & exponentially increasing the risk of disease, & that includes HITH."

Here's an article I wrote that will hopefully help you to understand why tank size is so important:

www.oscarfishlover.com/oscar-fish-care-sheet

"@rocksor I see thank you, I got my answer now"

Hopefully this is the answer you are working off of:

"I would not do 2 oscars in a tank that small."

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds