Baby oscars in small tank

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Baby oscars in small tank

Petco and petsmart are having a dollar a gallon sale on select tanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re:Baby oscars in small tank

I know that Petco won't sell more than a 55g.

What about Petsmart?

• Thank you received: 218

DBLN8 replied the topic: Baby oscars in small tank

$1 a gallon up to 55 gallons in both stores.

• Thank you received: 0

StinkBaitJoe replied the topic: Baby oscars in small tank

Don't panic, those small Oscars will be fine for awhile. Some people forget not everyone has the money to run out and buy a big tank for a couple baby fish. I would suggest a water change every few days about 10% and those little guys will grow pretty fast. So you will want a larger tank down the road. I wouldn't feed them feeder fish in that small tank. Get good quality pellet food that floats. That will minimize waste in the smaller tank. Better save your coin.....you'll need that bigger tank soon.....lol

StinkBaitJoe replied the topic: Re:Baby oscars in small tank

Craigslist baby!

• Thank you received: 97

ernie replied the topic: Baby oscars in small tank

Cannot agree that is really bad advice the tank is not suitable at 20gallons. At OFL we are normally pretty united on opinions but this advice goes against everything members with decades of experience believe in.
The following user(s) said Thank You: UNC-CH

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Baby oscars in small tank

StinkBaitJoe wrote: ... Some people forget not everyone has the money to run out and buy a big tank for a couple baby fish. I would suggest a water change every few days about 10% and those little guys will grow pretty fast. So you will want a larger tank down the road. ...

Where on earth are you getting your information? The members on this forum have decades and, in some cases, a lifetime of experience in the hobby. A ten percent water change every few days is so grossly insufficient for an already insufficiently sized tank, he might as well do nothing at all. Please read the following article on oscar care written by someone with a lifetime of experience.

www.oscarfishlover.com/oscar-fish-care-sheet

• Thank you received: 40

face mcshooty replied the topic: Baby oscars in small tank

Some people forget not everyone has the money to run out and buy a big tank for a couple baby fish.

this hobby can be expensive i think everyone hear understand that but that's not really an excuse for not taking care of a animal for example if you want a horse but can't afford a stable do you just put it in your spare bedroom until you can afford it? :pinch:

Don't dwell on what went wrong. Instead focus on what to do next

• render777
  • render777's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

render777 replied the topic: Baby oscars in small tank

I just wanna say that 2 days ago I took them out of the tank and put them in a 100 Gallon tank, so all is good, and btw is it good to have 2 oscars, 1 pleco in one 100 gallon? or is that overstocked

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Baby oscars in small tank

It's much better than what they were in before. Usually, the minimum size recommended for 2 oscars is 125 gallons, but if you remove the pleco and perform large water changes often enough, you could make it work.

The most important thing I can point out to you is how necessary large water changes will be. For 2 oscars in a 100 gallon tank, you're looking at about 75% a week. To make this easy, take a look at the python (or aqueon) water changer. It makes vacuuming the gravel/draining the tank and refilling the tank very easy. Here's a video on how a python works.

Earlier today, a member posted this picture of an oscar with HITH or hole-in-the-head. I wouldn't want either of your oscars to develop this condition, which is common with oscars living in water that is changed infrequently. Keep up with those water changes, re-home the pleco and it can work.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds