Baby oscars in small tank

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Baby oscars in small tank

render777 wrote: I just wanna say that 2 days ago I took them out of the tank and put them in a 100 Gallon tank, so all is good, and btw is it good to have 2 oscars, 1 pleco in one 100 gallon? or is that overstocked

I have basically one Oscar and a pleco in 125 gallons. There is another small fish not contributing much but they need a large (50-75%) water change every 4 days. I've had 2 oscars and a pleco in there before and the water changes were every 3 days. Your tank is overstocked yes and you'll end up with problems.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 158

Goranothos replied the topic: Baby oscars in small tank

OP, I have one Oscar, one Pleco, and four Silver Dollars in a 5 foot long 150 gallon tank and I consider that fully stocked. I would never put another large cichlid or another large fish like a Pleco in that tank. If I ever put a 2nd Oscar in the tank, the Pleco will have to be moved. I manage to get by with one 50% (yes, 75 gallons) water change a week, and that is only because I have a special filter called a denitrator. Without it, I would be doing minimum two 75% (yes, 110 gallon) water changes a week.

My fish are healthy, have good color, and are thriving (well, the SDs are scared of the O...need to get them out I guess).

So no, sorry to say, but two Oscars and a Pleco are overstocked in a 100 gallon.

Yes, definitely get a Python. They make water changes soo much easier.

Would you buy a Great Dane and keep him in a 10'x10' pen?

“Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.” -Mike Tyson

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Baby oscars in small tank

The stocking formula for robust SA cichlids like Oscars (Oscars, Severums, Uarus, Chocolate,etc) that can get 12-16"+ is BARE BONES MINIMUM 55GL PER FISH, regardless of current size. That formula also comes w/ a caveat.....you have to do frequent massive WC's, on the order of 75% every 3 days or more, little to no decorations, & absolutely NO tankmates whatsoever. I personally go w/ 75GL per fish, as they not only grow large, they put out a tremendous wasteload. You will have to do a 75% WC along w/ a thorough gravel vacuuming every other day just to attempt to have acceptable water parameters. Obviously we can't force you to re-home one of these Oscars, but I more then strongly recommend you do so......a new member posted a pic of her Oscar, asking what was wrong w/ it....this is what occurs when you overcrowd Oscars, from poor water quality & stress:

s1302.photobucket.com/user/trendsetter56/media/20150109_164224_zpscead4e64.jpg.html

This is a very bad case of HITH/LLE, & it is much easier to prevent than it is to cure. I'm not stating unequivocally that this will happen to your fish, not trying to scare you, but you do have 2 of them in a tank that honestly is undersized for 2 Oscars. I hope you take my advice & re-home one of them.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: Baby oscars in small tank

I have almost 1000 gallons of freshwater tanks, and I have not figured out a way to change the realities of keeping fish. Big fish require big tanks and big water changes. Good intentions will not get you very far in this hobby, you will need to embrace the facts that it will be expensive, labor intensive, and at times frustrating. No one can tell you exactly how long those fish can coexist in a small tank, but the experience of most here will tell you that the sooner you can change this set up the better the chance you will end up with the result you want.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds