cycling

• Bri B
  • Bri B's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 32

Bri B created the topic: cycling

I recently set up my new 55 gal with a more powerful than needed fluval canister filter. I started with a nice amount of the gravel from my established tank along with a little over the back filter running with a heavily used filter cartridge from the existing tank in addition to the canister. Also the suggested new tank dosage of api stress coat to condition my tap water and the suggested dose of api stress zyme for the bacteria. Also have 4 danios in the tank. Api freshwater master kit also purchased and all levels being monitored. From what I've read this seems to be a solid start to a tank. Would you recommend any changes or additions? I'm giving the danios a little pinch of food every other day and planning on 20 percent wcs weekly. All advice appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: cycling

On the right track......gravel amount should be just enough to cover the bottom...your beneficial bacteria will be stored in your dedicated biological filter....which should be your canister.......what type of media do you have in there to culture bacteria?......also, "bacteria in a bottle" products worth are dubious @ best......the only proven method for establishing a mature colony is time & patience.....keep this going for 10-12 weeks & you will have a cycled filter.

www.oscarfishlover.com/cycling-your-filter

Short article I wrote on "fish-in" cycling, which is the method I have used for 43+ years & always recommend.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Bri B
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Bri B replied the topic: cycling

Thank you. So the canister filter doesn't have a spot for my cultured media so I used the little 20 gal rated over the back unit since it is a carbon pouch. Did a nice thin layer of the established gravel on bottom followed by new gravel on top. Also used a castle decoration from the existing tank that had been in for a few months. Has plenty of nooks for harboring bacteria. Also a pair of new decorations that should be ideal for gathering bacteria. I little sunken ship with actual cloth sails and holes all over it and a fairly large great Wall off China thing that has small synthetic ferns on it. The danios are super colorful and active so far. I will continue to keep up testing and wcs. I appreciate all the in depth advice the page has hooked me up with.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:cycling

What kind of canister is it ?

• Bri B
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Bri B replied the topic: Re:cycling

Fluval 306

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: cycling

FYI......bacteria living in/on decorations, gravel, etc in the aquarium will do little to nothing to contribute to biological filtration. To be effective, they must have a constant flow of nutrient rich water flowing over/through the media.

Go out & purchase some ceramic noodles or some other commercially produced bio-media, put it in a nylon bag, & put it in the canister...I just looked online @ the internal schematic of a Fluval 306. There is plenty of room for bio-media in there in the media baskets. Get rid of any carbon, & use filter fiber instead.

www.fluvalaquatics.com/ca/product/A212-306-canister-filter/#.VLh5esYtETo

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:cycling

Darth has you covered. In any case not getting the filter cycled will be your issue. The gravel and deco are simply not enough test the water and post your results

• Bri B
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Bri B replied the topic: cycling

Yes there is plenty of room for different media in there but the only used media I had at my disposal was a carbon cartridge for an over the back filter so I didn't want to just toss that into one of the trays in my 306. I have 2 sections of bio max ceramics in there already. I know that the gravel deco and used filter pouch aren't enough to cycle fast but from what I read every little bit helps. I don't have any access to used canister media or I would have started with some of that also

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds