IS my tank big enough for a single oscar?

• Tandanman
  • Tandanman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Tandanman created the topic: IS my tank big enough for a single oscar?

I'm getting a tank soon, and I would like to be able to house an oscar. It is 3ft long by 18in wide by 21in deep, around 58-64 us gallons, depending on which aquarium calculator I use. It has enough water volume, but is it long enough? That is my only concern.
Cheers, Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: IS my tank big enough for a single oscar?

A tank that size won't be suitable, no. Oscars really need the 4ft of swim space.

55 US gal is the absolute bare minimum size that's recommended for oscars, but it isn't enough to house them for life (you'll have to upgrade once the O reaches 8" or so). An oscar can (and will if properly cared for) end up being longer than the tank's width (12" or so in a 55 gal) so eventually won't be able to turn around.

If you can I'd aim for getting a 75 gal. It has the same dimensions as your 3ft, but 4ft long instead. Or, if you really want to spoil your O, get a 90 gal. I have a 4ft long by 2ft wide by 18in deep tank for one of my RDs, and the 4x2 footprint is wonderful. Length and width are more important than height if it helps in choosing a tank, but length is most important.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: IS my tank big enough for a single oscar?

Hi Jim - normally, 55 gallons is considered the absolute minumum and 75 as a better minimum for a single oscar. That is taking the footprint into consideration, which is usually 4 ft. long for both tanks. Your tank has less swimming room length-wise, but is better than a 55 front to back by 6 in. So it's kind of a grey area. I'd wait to hear what others have to say.

• Tandanman
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Tandanman replied the topic: IS my tank big enough for a single oscar?

Hmm that's what I thought. if I can't house an oscar it's no big deal, I'll just get something else. Unfortunately I cannot get a 75 or larger as I already am paying off the tank and it's as large as I can go at the moment. It will be interesting to see what others have to say, but I certainly don't want to cramp such an amazing fish in less than an ideal tank. If only someone has bred a dwarf oscar haha, I'm sure thousands of people have already thought that.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: IS my tank big enough for a single oscar?

The 4ft requirement for swim space isn't negotiable for oscars to my knowledge. They're a fish that can get to 14" long or more, and a 3ft tank will barely give them any room to swim even if it is acceptable in depth. The depth is important to the extent that they can comfortably turn around, but length is definitely most important.

See here: www.oscarfishlover.com/forum/13-the-oscar-fish/305189-oscar-fish

Had a similar thread a few months ago. Thorichthys or Archocentrus species would suit your tank really well instead of an oscar. Something that doesn't get above 8" or so would be the general ballpark to aim for.

If you use Rocksor's formula from that thread you'll be able to properly calculate the max sized fish you can keep in a 3ft tank.
The following user(s) said Thank You: UNC-CH

• Tandanman
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Tandanman replied the topic: IS my tank big enough for a single oscar?

Yeah I'm not going to try and cramp an oscar into a tank that is too small. thanks for your help though. Cheers, jim

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:IS my tank big enough for a single oscar?

Look into cryptoheros

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: IS my tank big enough for a single oscar?

It will be interesting to see what others have to say.....

Anyone that disputes the minimum 4' length requirement is not someone I would take advice from.

Firemouths, Convicts, Saijicas....any of the smaller CA's would be just fine in that size tank.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: UNC-CH

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:IS my tank big enough for a single oscar?

Yup I'm one of the other 4 feet required people. Good for you looking for other suitable fish and not cramming one in there anyway. Stick around and keep us updated on what you end up with. Not just oscars on this site.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:IS my tank big enough for a single oscar?

Hello and welcome. I'll go a step beyond and claim that very large Oscars, say well over a foot long are cramped even in a 4ft tank. Several folks here, including myself have large Oscars in 6ft tanks, some alone, others with maybe a smaller cichlid or pleco. When you see a big Oscar, you will get a comprehension of the room they should have.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds