IS my tank big enough for a single oscar?

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:IS my tank big enough for a single oscar?

Suprd71 wrote: Hello and welcome. I'll go a step beyond and claim that very large Oscars, say well over a foot long are cramped even in a 4ft tank. Several folks here, including myself have large Oscars in 6ft tanks, some alone, others with maybe a smaller cichlid or pleco. When you see a big Oscar, you will get a comprehension of the room they should have.

This is true. Mine as well has a 6 foot tank and I can't imagine him in a 4 foot. Even when I put in a divider that separated 1.5 feet it looked like he had no running room.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tandanman
  • Tandanman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Tandanman replied the topic: IS my tank big enough for a single oscar?

I'm gonna try and get hold of a GT, probably a female. That was actually what I had originally planned (I went off on a tangent with regards to the oscar). I have researched it extensively since before I even bought the tank, and it seems a suitable fish. I know that male GT's can grow to 12in, but the largest GT have ever seen was around 9-10in. If I end up needing a larger tank for it, I will make a larger tank (I was a actually going to make a 4x2x2ft tank instead of buying one, but I couldn't source quite enough glass). In my early years I have made mistakes with regards to getting fish that were not suitable long term, and I do not plan on doing that again. I have a friend who runs a water tank company, and I'm welcome to take scrap (cut in half) water tanks anytime. So eventually I may even make a small indoor pond, now that would be really cool. I know a lot of people say that they are planning on getting this and that and never do, I have before and the headaches and stress it entails is enough to keep me from doing it again. But if people do not think a GT is suitable I will look for another fish, this time a fair bit smaller. Cheers, jim

• Tandanman
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I will put the fish's needs above my preferences.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:IS my tank big enough for a single oscar?

I still think a pair of cryptoheros would work well in that tank. Or an acara yellow or blue with some dithers.

Not my fish

Panamensis, nanolutes, sajica, myrnae, honduran red points.

This is my red point

• Tandanman
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Tandanman replied the topic: Re:IS my tank big enough for a single oscar?

daddadoo7 wrote: I still think a pair of cryptoheros would work well in that tank. Or an acara yellow or blue with some dithers.

Not my fish

Panamensis, nanolutes, sajica, myrnae, honduran red points.

This is my red point

Those are some nice looking fish. I would've thought the bottom one was a convict if you hadn't labeled it otherwise.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:IS my tank big enough for a single oscar?

I think a single female GT and a few dithers would be fine. I have seen a huge male GT at a LFS that was 12" so it can happen, but to my knowledge they're quite slow growers.

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: IS my tank big enough for a single oscar?

If you want more of the 'wet pet' solo fish you might also look into Nandopsis tetracanthus (Cuban Cichlid) which can get to about 10".
www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=3

Another choice would be Nandopsis grammodes (Sieve Cichlid) sometime refered to as the mini-dovii that will get to about 9-10" also
www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=20
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tandanman

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:IS my tank big enough for a single oscar?

Grammodes would be my choice I think rapps has them

• Tandanman
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Thanks guys sorry I haven't replied for a little while, I actually totally forgot that I had posted this topic, as I was busy with a lot of things. Those grammodes look AWESOME, I think I might have to look into them more. Cheers, Jim

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds