Diy sliding glass lid?

• TheLilMommaB
  • TheLilMommaB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10

TheLilMommaB created the topic: Diy sliding glass lid?

Me again everyone. First off thanks so much for saving the lives of my 2 Oscars (previously my parents in a 55). They are loving the 130 but it's time to upgrade the lids from egg crate and solid diffuser to something nicer. I found a nice 72" led light with moon lighting for 250$ (it's been up for a month though so I'm gonna see if I can talk him down) that sits slightly above the top so I'm thinking sliding glass tops. My only worry is that they might break it or knock it off and jump :-/ so anyone have and tips on a glass thickness or brand that would work for my 2 stubborn destructive Oscars?

Stay at home mommy to 4 kids (Ana 11, Joseph 10, Alizabeth 6, and Christian 2) 11 purple pincher hermit crabs, 8 cats, 6 guppies, 2 little molly fish, 3 ferrets, 2 parrakets, 2 Oscars, 1 red eared slider, 1 cockatiel, 1 goldfish, 1 veiled chameleon, and 1 bone headed pittbull. And working with The Mid Atlantic Turtle and Tortoise Association to become a slider foster.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Diy sliding glass lid?

The glass top on my 75 gallon is about 1/4" thick ... maybe less. I've worried about my oscar smacking into it hard enough to pop it up and have it slam back down hard enough to break the part that opens. After seeing him bump it up a little I decided to make a clamp out of pieces of plexiglass which is secured to the rim with double-sided tape. The clamp is on the middle brace so it locks both pieces of glass down. There's also weather stripping on the piece that slides in and out to absorb shock and insure a tight fit.

The following user(s) said Thank You: TheLilMommaB

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Diy sliding glass lid?

A good idea from UNC-CH. I would recommend however, that you pass on a 6ft light. It will be too bright for Oscars, who are light sensitive, and prefer dim lighting at best. A 3ft single bulb fixture would be better, cost you far less to boot.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• TheLilMommaB
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

TheLilMommaB replied the topic: Re:Diy sliding glass lid?

Thanks for the help guys. I'll definitely be using the lock trick. My biggest O just started knocking on the lid in the last few weeks and I worry about him messing up his head or mouth on the egg crate. I take it as another sign that they are starting to feel much better now that they are out of the 55 gallon. Also wow on the light sensitive...I would have never guessed that...both Ozzy and Sharon like to play in the one ray of light that shines into the tank on bright mornings. Do you think hanging a couple of the reptile lights with just regular light bulbs from the ceiling would be ok? I'm just not loving this light from the 55 sitting across the middle of the tank.

Stay at home mommy to 4 kids (Ana 11, Joseph 10, Alizabeth 6, and Christian 2) 11 purple pincher hermit crabs, 8 cats, 6 guppies, 2 little molly fish, 3 ferrets, 2 parrakets, 2 Oscars, 1 red eared slider, 1 cockatiel, 1 goldfish, 1 veiled chameleon, and 1 bone headed pittbull. And working with The Mid Atlantic Turtle and Tortoise Association to become a slider foster.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Diy sliding glass lid?

A six foot light for $250? You could make your own light like the one I made for my 10 gallon planted tank. Just make it six feet long instead of two feet. You'll save a ton a money ... it shouldn't cost more than $40 - $50 to make ... plus you'll be able to experiment with and choose the brightness of the lights and the color (temperature).

The main piece is made out of rain gutter. The sides are made from either the end caps made and sold for the gutter (much easier) or cut from wood and secured with screws (more difficult). The lights screw into one or more 'T' receptacles that are mounted through a hole in the top of the gutter and locked into place with a nut. For a six foot light, I would use 3 receptacles (6 lights). The lights are wired in parallel and an on/off switch is added and mounted through the back. The side pieces are cut to hang 1/2" below the top at the sides to keep the light from sliding left and right so it cannot fall into the aquarium. The gutter is painted black with krylon fusion spray paint.

The most expensive parts by far are the light receptacles. They can be bought at hardware stores for around $10 each.

• TheLilMommaB
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

I like that but not sure if I'm that handy especially when it comes time to do the wiring :-) might give it a try but keep the hanging lights in mind for if I screw it up lol

• Thank you received: 32

Bri B replied the topic: Re:Diy sliding glass lid?

Lil momma those are really cool looking O's. So happy to have read your story and see them in great condition. Such awesome patterns and I can't imagine how happy they are with the better water conditions and swimming room. You are an Oscar patron saint officially. Love to see some more pics and or a video.

• TheLilMommaB
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Thank you :-) taking over the care of these guys has got me hooked on aquariums even more I now have 4 tanks and more to fill :-) saying about video reminded me I haven't checked on the one I tried to load to youtube months ago that was pending forever...wonder if it went thru yet...if it went thru I'll share it shortly

• Thank you received: 32

Bri B replied the topic: Re:Diy sliding glass lid?

I just posted my first 2 videos yesterday and today to the forum. Had no idea how long it takes. The one I just posted is 2 minutes and it took a solid hour to upload even on a strong WiFi signal. It's my pair 24 hours after being in their new 55 gal. Check it out.

• TheLilMommaB
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

I can't believe my video still hasn't uploaded...I canceled it and tried again so we'll see what happens this time...it was taken a few weeks after they made their big move and things have changed a bunch so I'll take another video in the morning after water tests are done and everyone gets fed.

This is what my guys were living in before I took over their care...if you can believe it at one point there was a 12+ inch common pleco in there as well.

They lived in there for almost 2+ years with hardly any water changes except for the rare full 100% water change. It's a miracle they survived. After finding this forum they made the move to this.

And now they seem happy and I've fallen in love with them :-)

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds