New to Oscars and need advise

• Shaun78
  • Shaun78's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Shaun78 created the topic: New to Oscars and need advise

Hello all. Let me relay my story and hopefully someone can tell me if what I'm doing is okay. Recently I got a new job at work and the new office came with a tank with an Oscar in it. The previous owner of this office left him behind after he left the company. The Oscar has been living in a 10 gallon tank for the past 6 years. It really didn't look like he did any maintenance on the tank. Anyway Now this seems to be my problem. I tried desperately to find someone who would adopt him but got turned down every time. So believing no animal should suffer I am trying to improve the situation. I went out and spent way more money than I could actually justify but it needed doing. I got a 55 gallon, 4ft long tank. I also purchased a Sun-Sun 110 gal., 4 stage filter for the tank. Just today I have set the tank up, filled it with water, and have the filter running. Tomorrow I plan on testing the water temp and PH levels of the water before moving Oscar into his new home. What else do I need to do for him or what other process do I need to do to ensure he will live comfortably. I will say I am not a fish guy at all (I actually raise guinea pigs at home) and this is all so new to me. I am trying to correct a situation here. Any help at all would be appreciated. As I said as an animal lover I hate seeing any living thing suffer. Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: New to Oscars and need advise

Welcome to the forum and you are to be commended taking on this rescue. You will need to familiarize yourself with the bacterial 'cycle' a little before this big move with this fish. This would be a good place to start reading: www.oscarfishlover.com/tank-setup

• Thank you received: 218

DBLN8 replied the topic: New to Oscars and need advise

If the old tank has a filter you can use that to jump start your cycle. I would be weary of pulling him out such a small tank and dumping him into "new" clean water, with out knowing the how toxic the old water is the shock of clean water could cause problems. if you didn't already get one I would get this, test the old water and post the results.

www.google.com/shopping/product/2455695230146408896?biw=1536...qm6nia5xGn3oZ388yA&ei=teTTVKLuBIOhgwTsoYGgDg&ved=0CGgQqSswAA

Open a photobucket account and post pics of him

Welcome and good luck.

• Thank you received: 32

Bri B replied the topic: Re:New to Oscars and need advise

Another great way to get the beneficial bacteria formed in the new tank is to get a few tough fish to live in it for about 2 weeks before moving the O. I highly recommend Danio minnows. Easy to find at fish shops. I used 7 to cycle my 55 and they not only survived they are all thriving still. Toughest little fish ever. Welcome to ofl. Best place for advice tips and just sharing fish stories.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: New to Oscars and need advise

X2..........but I would state you should cycle that filter for minimum 6 weeks before adding Oscar.

Little article I wrote on Oscar care:

www.oscarfishlover.com/oscar-fish-care-sheet

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Shaun78
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Shaun78 replied the topic: New to Oscars and need advise

Thanks everyone for your great advise. I've been reading it all. I have the new tank up and running and I've been testing the water daily to make sure its where it needs to be. Can't wait to be able to transfer Oscar to his new home. Thanks again and I'll let you know how it goes.

• Shaun78
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Shaun78 replied the topic: New to Oscars and need advise

Just thought I'd give a little update. Transferred Oscar to the new tank. Had to do it quicker than I wanted but the old tank started leaking. The ammonia, PH levels, and temp in the new tank were all good so I moved him over. I have never seen him so active. He is flying around this new tank all day long. His color is now a bright orange where as before it was more a dull color. All the white stuff that used to be on his head is completely gone. And he is always looking for food. Every time I get up from my desk he shoots to the top of the tank and stares at me till I drop some food in.
Just wanted to thank everyone here for their help in getting Oscar to a new safe home. I'll post some photos soon.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: New to Oscars and need advise

That is great to hear Shaun, I do hope you will stick around, and yes please post up some photos.

Keep one thing in mind when you are keeping Oscars, water change, water change, water change. Keep the water in tiptop condition and you'll have a happy and healthy Oscar fish.

Good luck

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds