Transitioning a tank

• cavalier99
  • cavalier99's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

cavalier99 created the topic: Transitioning a tank

Hello forum.

Yesterday our Tiger Oscar of 10yrs died. We believe is was due to an internal parasite. Basically the final two days I picked out 3 of what looks like meal worms. Whilst I know they eat meal worms, in all his life he never was fed a meal worm so we are pretty certain it was maybe this or some other disease which caused death.

We are likely wanting to get another Tiger Oscar, however I have some questions on setting up the current tank for the new one so I can prepare everything ahead of time.

As of today the readings in the tank are as follows (empty tank with filters still running);
Ammonia - 0.0
Nitrite - 0.0
PH - 6.0
Nitrate - 5.00/10.00
** x2 cycles of Tetracycline were used for 2 days. Then a 50% water change yesterday prior to the fish passing.

Assuming we believe our fish died due to a parasite or disease, should we be completely draining the current tank and starting over? If so what does that entail? Remove water, remove all media replace with new? gravel? etc...Or could we put a new Oscar in the current tank?

If there is already a thread with this info please point me to it.

Lastly, I know this sounds comical but I have to ask; So obviously the new Tiger Oscar will be a tiny junior, do I have to be careful about it being sucked onto the filter inlets? Just saying this as I remember having neon tetras with similar filters I have and everyday I would have a dead fish attached to the filter inlet. :)

Tank Setup;
75G
Fluval G3 Filter (Currently Mechanical and Biomax)
AC110 HOB Filter (Currently Mechanical and BioMax)
Fluval Pump + strip for aeration
Fluval Electronic Heater/Thermometer

Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Transitioning a tank

If your not exactly sure what jt was i would probably tear it down but see what the others have to say
The following user(s) said Thank You: cavalier99

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: Transitioning a tank

I have been through a situation where I did not know what hit the tank and thought a good cleaning with everything still establish would take care of it. It did not and every fish i kept adding to the tank was getting sick and dying. I finally disassembled everything and disinfected and I baked the gravel in the oven and started up brand new. This included new filter media. I know it sounds extreme but after that I had no more issues. You are only dealing with a 75g which is a breeze. I was dealing with a 210g with 135lbs of gravel and two large FX5 filters.

I think your best bet since you believe it to have been a parasite issue is to break it down and start from scratch and do a fresh cycle. That is just my opinion.

• Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: Transitioning a tank

One of the mods gave me a heads up on this after a similar experience. You can use 1part hydrogen peroxide, to 150 parts water to sterilize a tank. It will destroy your cycle, so I am not sure you actually gain anything, but dosing a tank with a commonly available inexpensive chemical may be easier than a tear down. The link below will give a more detailed description.
fish-etc.com/knowledge/tank-maintenance-tips
The following user(s) said Thank You: cavalier99

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Transitioning a tank

Your bb wont survive long without an ammonia source, so in essence you will be starting from scratch anyways. Do not add a new Oscar until the tank is recycled, and a new bacteria colony is grown. Hyd. perox. will be easier, but a good teardown may give you more peace of mind.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 97

ernie replied the topic: Re:Transitioning a tank

Such a shame you will have to start new cycle just when tank seems to have good water parameters. You have obviously learnt a lot about cycling and understand that an ammonia source is required, giant danios are generally the preferred option.

Also be prepared to wait generally 8 to 10 weeks.

• cavalier99
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

cavalier99 replied the topic: Transitioning a tank

thanks for the opinions they are great!

I think if I am honest with myself I will probably go with the tear down to make a new environment for the new fish, time is on our side there is no rush. So I think I will go the route of tearing everything down and starting a fresh. Ultimately as mentioned I think piece of mind is winning me over here.

I understand the methods of cycling and with the assistance of the great cycling article on this site I can start again. However I have one question about the gravel; Should it be replaced or just thoroughly cleaned? Lastly for cleaning the tank glass is a general cleaner okay? or something else?

Thanks

Robham and Suprd have both explained how to clean tank and also attached article. With the gravel I would replace to be on safe side not really a great expense.

• cavalier99
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

cavalier99 replied the topic: Re:Transitioning a tank

ernie wrote: Robham and Suprd have both explained how to clean tank and also attached article. With the gravel I would replace to be on safe side not really a great expense.

My apologies I did see the link I am just at work and got distracted so didn't get to look at. I will review it a little later. Thanks for the responses!!

Cheers!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds