New to Oscar and need help

• avikool
  • avikool's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

avikool created the topic: New to Oscar and need help

Hi all,

I'm new to fish keeping and read a few thing about aquariums etc.
I have two 2" long oscars in a small 14G aquarium along with 2 parrot fish...now I know its not the good way to go about, the guy at the pet shop didnt advise correctly.
Two parrots are kind aggressive with the oscars, they are about the same size of the oscars...I have an oscar with what looks like some scales gone, due to attacks from the parrot fish.
Now I am setting up another smaller tank that I was lent to me to move the two parrot a bit later today. I will take some of the current aquarium water to the new smaller one for the parrots.
This will leave some room for my 2 oscars. I am planning on building my own midsize aquarium soon, like in a week or two to be able to move the oscars.
I am looking at building an 85G-100G tank and I a bit confused about the dimensions, should I go with a 36"(L) x 24"(W) x 24"(H) or 48"(L) x 24"(W) x 18"(H)
Can someone advise me on that.
Also, maybe I would want to add a couple of smaller fish later in the tank.
I am kind of confused also about water cycling, I use anti-chlorinating solution like stress coat, would that be enough?
Thanks a lot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: New to Oscar and need help

Oh dear, the guy obviously doesn't know what he's talking about if you let you put two Oscars in such a small aquaria, even though they are very small at the moment.

You have got for semi-aggressive fish living in a tiny environment, it can only end in disaster if you don't act quickly.

What you have got to remember is that Oscars grow at an alarming rate, your two Oscars will be twice as big in a couple of months time.I would definitely separate the parrots from the Oscars as soon as you have set up the smaller tank. If you haven't built the new tank yet then you should definitely be looking to build as big as you possibly can if you are planning on keeping the Oscars. The chances are some tank mates will take your fancy at some stage, if you only build the minimum size for two Oscars then you will not have left yourself any options about getting anything else. I would say that if you can build 100 gallon tank, you could probably build a 150 gallon tank quite easily, it wouldn't take up much more space. As for the Dimensions, I would probably aim for at least 6 foot long, then you could go 24 high and 24 depth. Or if you wanted to go bigger, you could go 30 inches high, that would add quite a lot more water to the system without taking up any more ground space.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: avikool

• avikool
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

avikool replied the topic: New to Oscar and need help

Thanks OFL, I totally agree with you here...
You are right about the tanks size, but would you recommend building myself a 150G tank? That would be quite heavy. Given that I can easily get aquarium silicone and good glass, just want to make sure a tank that big would be sturdy enough if I make it.

Do you reckon I could add an arowana with the oscars if I get around 150G tank? I suppose I would be able to put the two parrots as well, when the oscars grow a bit bigger, what are your thoughts?

I initially wanted to get into aquariums because I want an arowana ;)
Thanks a lot for you advice

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: New to Oscar and need help

hello and welcome to OFL. Wow, you are off to a bad start. We see this all too often unfortunately. A 150g tank with a 6ft length is a good long term for 2 Oscars, alone, no tankmates. Good intentions, and diy is a good way to have a monster tank without laying out thousands of dollars. When I say monster tank, I mean several hundreds of gallons. Diy is not financially viable for small tanks. Besides, you cannot just slap some glass together with silicone. Silicone is a sealant, not an adhesive. Your Oscars will quite simply not survive in a tiny glass box as you have now. You should really return all your fish, step back and research the needs and care of cichlids. Everything you need to know is available right here, and we have many helpful members to assist you.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• avikool
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

so you do not advise on making my own tank? I do not intend to have a monster tank in the house though.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: New to Oscar and need help

honestly, i will not advise you either to make your own tank if you do not have any experience... often than not... making your own tank becomes more expensive that getting it assembled already...

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: New to Oscar and need help

By some of the questions you ask, and by your own admittance, its evident your knowledge of this hobby is very limited. You cant build a quality tank that will last ,in the size range you desire, cheaper than you can buy a good used, or even new with warranty. We haven't even touched on important topics like filtration, the nitrogen cycle, water quality. Just so many things you need to know before you can properly raise and successfully keep cichlids. My prior advice to you, that being step back, start over is the way to go. Acquire knowledge first, apply after.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: New to Oscar and need help

You already have two oscars that require an absolute minumum of 125 gallons, better 150 or larger, just for themselves. The two parrot fish will also take up qiite a lot of space. Although I have no experience with parrot fish, I believe they will need an additional 50-75 gallons. You're up to 210 gallons for your tank size. You do not want to try building a tank like that unless you're very advanced in this hobby. Even then, most prefer to buy their tanks. It's not as easy as it looks on YouTube.

Think about pouring one gallon of water on your floor. That's a lot of water. Now think about doing that 100s of times. I'd never consider building a tank unless I knew a professional tank builder to guide me through it.

Since you already have too many fish and are new to the hobby, I'd return all the fish. Decide what fish you want. If you want an oscar, the minimum size tank is 75 gallons. You can buy those for less than $150 new, less on sale. I have one oscar in a 75 gallon and he is very happy.

Everything the others have said is spot on. I just wanted to let you know that I also think it's best to start at the beginning.

• avikool
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

guys are right...but i'm not returning the fish...besides here in Mauritius the fish shops do not take back the fish once they've sold it.
We do have quite a few people making aquariums around here, so i'm looking for a good deal.
Its totally right that I dnt know a thing about nitrogen cycle, however i know i must get a decent filtration depending on the tank size.

• avikool
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

hi , a little update...I am getting a 6' x 2' x 2' very soon to home my two oscars. It does not come with a supporting cabinet or furniture, dunno how to call that, guys have any advice on a DIY stuff that would be strong enough?

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds