New to Oscar and need help

• Thank you received: 11

Jauch21 replied the topic: New to Oscar and need help

building a stand is fairly cheap. I followed this guide

but added more support legs in the middle along the same setup as the legs on the ends in this video. It's very important when you build the stand to make sure it is perfectly level and flat. If the aquarium is not flat, you can end up with gaps in the middle between the stand and the aquarium. I learned this the hard way.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• windowslasvegas369
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

windowslasvegas369 replied the topic: New to Oscar and need help

newbie here

I want to buy a new tank that will hopefully last me years to come.
And in your opinions, which do you believe is better, Glass or Acrylic and why? :)

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: New to Oscar and need help

This is often a question we get asked. I suppose there is a long and short answer. Let's keep it short and to the point.

You normally know when you're dealing with an acrylic tank because there are loads of scratches on the glass, normally caused by algae cleavers, you don't get many scratches with glass because it is difficult to scratch.

Glass is very heavy compared to acrylic

The most important factor for me personally is that acrylic is a lot harder to break than glass

If you are building a very large aquarium then you will need much thicker glass them the same in acrylic. Therefore, a 6' x 2' x 2' aquarium in glass is going to be a lot heavier than the same size in acrylic

You may find that glass maintains clarity over a few years where an acrylic tank may not.

I believe acrylic is considerably more expensive than glass. If you are thinking about setting up a very large aquarium then I will definitely recommend acrylic overclass any day, much safer.

For future reference, it may be easier for you to start your own thread, piggybacking onto other people's Can often confuse people. Just do your information, please don't take this as a reprimand or anything :-)

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

slim12368 replied the topic: New to Oscar and need help

YouTube, YouTube,YouTube! There's tons of diy stands, tanks, and just about everything else! Sumps, trickle tower wet dry filters ect. Somewhere on this site I saw a species/ aquarium calculator that will help you get a handle on what you can mix in what sized tank. Good luck and please keep us updated.

• avikool
  • avikool's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

avikool replied the topic: New to Oscar and need help

my oscars are growing. I'm working on setting up the new tank, hopefully it'll be ready by end of April.
I've been looking around for the stand, getting quotes from furniture maker, will cost me around 11,000 Mauritian rupees which is equivalent to $350.
Guys in the US are pretty lucky with so much choice out there. I've yet to decide on whether to get someone to build the stand or if I can have a supplier that will cut the wood to the proper size. Thing is that the tank will be in the living room, and you can't have an ugly sort of stand.

• avikool
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

just an update...my 5ft x 2ft x 2ft tank is getting ready next week. I am completing my stand this week end. I am getting an odyssea CFS1000.
Guys here advise me to throw in one of those internal filters to catch the big wastes and move the water better, any thoughts on that welcome.

Now there are the fish, one oscar, which is only slightly bigger than the other just started beating the other two days ago, quite a lot of scales are gone , and he's quite bruised. I've moved him , or her, lol i dnt knw if its a he or a she, to another small tank to recover. Now what is quite weird is that I have a blood parrot which is smaller than the slightly bigger oscar, but the oscar gets beaten by the parrot.

and yeah I just received my water testing kit.

Rgds

• avikool
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Hey Guys,

glad to show you some pictures. My new tank , 5 x 2 x 2 ft . I've not yet put the fish in there. I'm cycling it since a week. and yesterday tested the water, I got nitrates at 20PPm, ammonia & nitrites 0PPM and pH is 7.2.

My nitrates level was 5PPM on Monday, the others were the same.

What do I make of it?
Thanks. More pics coming soon

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds