New 300 Gallon aquarium

• Jamal
  • Jamal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Jamal created the topic: New 300 Gallon aquarium

Hey Guys i found a 300 g aquarium for a steal. and i was wondering with that much water volume how many oscars and tank mates will fit in it. thanks. Don't know for sure if im going to purchase it or not but im really thinking about it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: New 300 Gallon aquarium

at most 5 oscars with no other tankmates

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: New 300 Gallon aquarium

Please think very carefully before purchasing such a large aquarium. Not only will it take quite a long time to maintain, it will also cost quite a lot of money to run. Remember how much water you will have to heat, that will go on the electricity bill. Plus filtration, that will have to be stepped up, that will be running 24/7 as well. I know because I used to have a 350 gallon aquarium. It's a nice idea having such a massive aquarium, but once you got it you realise just what you've got yourself into.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: New 300 Gallon aquarium

Also keep in mind that fish compatibility is always unknown. Many people desire an Oscar pair, only to have the pairing fail. A solo Oscar as the centerpiece, accompanied by a few other SA species may be easier to maintain and enjoy. No guarantees there either, but odds would be much better imo. 300 gals leaves many options. Poke around the web, see what you like. Then come on back, you will likely find someone who has experience with the fish you like.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 97

ernie replied the topic: Re:New 300 Gallon aquarium

300 would be a great pickup but I think you need to graduate to a tank of that size. Not saying you couldn't manage it but it could go terribly wrong if not maintained correctly. Big tank, big filtration big water changes. Becomes more of a job than a hobby.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Re:New 300 Gallon aquarium

ernie wrote: 300 would be a great pickup but I think you need to graduate to a tank of that size. Not saying you couldn't manage it but it could go terribly wrong if not maintained correctly. Big tank, big filtration big water changes. Becomes more of a job than a hobby.

I was pretty paranoid when I first got my 125, was sure it was going to fall through the floor or something (I live on the first floor of my building :lol:). 300 is a big tank.

Good point Ben massive weight in a 300 gallons tank.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re:New 300 Gallon aquarium

The weight of a tank like this is indeed a very important thing that you need to consider. I wouldn't even think about putting an aquarium like this on floorboards, not even next to the supporting wall. I converted my garage into a man cave in 2007, it was always my intention to have a large aquarium which would replace the 125 gallon I had in the living room, this was on floorboards. Obviously the garage have a concrete floor, but it needed to have lots of insulation put down. If I had simply put the tank on top, it would probably sink down two or 3 inches and probably not be particularly stable. So what I did was have a footprint cutout and then have concrete put in which made a very stable and safe foundation for the aquarium.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Also an empty 300 will need at least 4 strong people to move it...possibly more.

• Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: Re:New 300 Gallon aquarium

300g would be a very nice tank. As others pointed out, unless you are placing the tank on a ground floor slab, then you may have to really look at the flooring construction of your current residence,Is this a Craigslist type purchase, or a word of mouth type deal?If you can link to the add info, and any details hat would be good. As far as difficulty goes, other than the expense of getting, filtering, and setting up a monster tank. I think it is easier. The increased water volume makes water chemistry changes much less dramatic. and slower.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds