New 300 Gallon aquarium

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Re:New 300 Gallon aquarium

ernie wrote: Also an empty 300 will need at least 4 strong people to move it...possibly more.

You are not wrong about how much a 300 gallon aquarium weighs. Obviously you can't buy the sort of aquariums off-the-shelf, they need to be custom-made. I had to find six people when mine was delivered, even then they struggled to bring into my house. You'll be surprised just how heavy five pieces of glass stuck together are. I would always advise anyone thinking about getting a large tank to get some of those window sucker things.Glaziers use them to carry panes of glass, but they are absolutely perfect for lifting large tanks into place. If you are trying to lift a large tank from its based, it's almost impossible to do without one of these contraptions.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 97

ernie replied the topic: Re:New 300 Gallon aquarium

In Australia one of our hardware chains Bunnings sell them great tool to have. The lids on my tank don't have handles and I use them to remove them. Also very handy when you are positioning a new tank on styrofoam.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:New 300 Gallon aquarium

My 7ft 265 g Marineland tank weighs 400lbs dry. 4 guys can lift and move it, but navigating doorways and stairs takes a couple more. 6 guys on hand to get from my truck in house and on the stand. Was still not easy.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: Re:New 300 Gallon aquarium

i'm thinking if it's acrylic will be way more manageable - is it acrylic?

will cut the weight dramatically.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Re:New 300 Gallon aquarium

tehmole wrote: i'm thinking if it's acrylic will be way more manageable - is it acrylic?

will cut the weight dramatically.

Sure, but the oppressive weight of the debt that you will incur with said acrylic tank will surely weigh you down. :blink:

ETA: although I guess he did say it was a "steal", so that would be awesome if it were also acrylic. :whistle:

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: New 300 Gallon aquarium

I do not want to be a naysayer or discourage this by any means but I feel that anyone who has never had at least a 100g tank should never jump into a tank that large with out experience and a good routine set in place. I got back into the hobby after a 20yr absence with a 65 gallon breeder footprint tank. While maintenance came a bit more often, that size made it easy to manage and maintenance was pretty quick. My next step came when I upgraded to a 5ft 120g and then I started to see a bit more challenge when it came to time involved. Takes longer to do water changes with draining and filling, etc. At this point I am not doing buckets and have graduated to a python. So the next logical step from there was a 6ft 210g gallon and I am glad I have the routine in place because many times this is not a simple chore to maintain this tank. Water changes take forever, when you have to refill a 50% change. And everything is now scaled up in size that it is not just a couple minutes to do anything but an hour plus for everything.

Maybe the problem is I like my tanks spotless and my fish healthy and happy so I do a ton of unnecessary work to keep my tanks impeccable. But if I were to go back in time and rethink the 210g.... I might just have stayed with my 120g. So for anyone who owned a 55g as their 'biggest' tank and wants to move up, I suggest a turn at a 6ft 125g before a big jump to something like 300g.

Rant done!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ernie

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds