stocking my 125

• slim12368
  • slim12368's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

slim12368 created the topic: stocking my 125

Hello, I have a 125 gal tank that I will be setting up shortly and I want to have an oscar as the "star occupant" but I do love other american cichlids... for tank mates I'm thinking a convict, (only 1- don't want or need any unsanctioned breeding) a dempsey, perhaps a firemouth, some silver dollars,and a common pleco. Im really trying to keep from overstocking and was thinking that rather than doing the silver dollars and the fire mouth maybe a severum instead? I plan on all fish being juveniles and I will be using pool filter sand as a substrate. I've got two emperor 400 filters and two cascade canisters that I'll be running for filtration. Also I'm debating on whether or not to build a DIY concrete and styrofoam background ( would keep it very narrow so Im not wasting too much tank space ) or just paint the back black and be done with it. And of course the final question would there be room with the fish I've listed for a second oscar?
Opinions and input are welcome ....thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 11

Jauch21 replied the topic: stocking my 125

Two Oscars in a 125 gallon tank is a gamble and the bare minimum I would put two oscars in and that would be with no other tank mates. I think you would be better off going with one Oscar and a few tankmates. A convict, firemouth, or severum are good choices as well as the silver dollars. I would stay away from the pleco unless your set on it. They get big and are really messy.

I think a stock of an Oscar, Jack, and Severum would work. I'm not an expert when it comes to whats overstocked, but others will chime in soon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: slim12368

• Thank you received: 182

jnet replied the topic: stocking my 125

yea I think oscar jd and sev sounds nice combo. If you go 2oscars its really top of your limit and if they fight you will be stressing and having to do lots of waterchanges. If you are used to these types of fish it could work but if you are pretty new to oscars I would get one. They are messy.

plec really make a lot more mess than needed, I just got rid of mine and was happy but then ended up with another that needed rehoming and I couldnt say no so its poo strings everywhere again. In some ways they are worse than oscars lol

I'm living my life, but not necessarily in the right order :)

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:stocking my 125

Oscars go good with chocolate cichlids too. Also i know allot of people like sd's but i hate them. They eat like lawn mowers once they settle in. I found that i had to over feed a bit to make sure everyone else got there fill. I rehomed them. As for convicts there are lots of cool convict types (cryptoheros) out there. Honduran red points, nanolutes, panamensis, sajica

• slim12368
  • slim12368's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

slim12368 replied the topic: Re:stocking my 125

As far as substrate goes is pool filter sand a good choice? I've always used aquarium gravel berore....

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:stocking my 125

Yup have it in all my tank just clean ot real well and keep your intakes away from it

• Thank you received: 254

DRACO replied the topic: Re:stocking my 125

not sure if this will sell the idea ... i do have one oscar with lots of small tankmates...

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:stocking my 125

I would take the Dempsey out of the mix, especially a male. Oscars growth rate may keep the field level for a while, but an angry JD can clean out any of the other fish you have in mind. I have an aggressive male, about 7ins. He could easily kill Oscars twice his size. I am a big Severum fan, I have a few with a large Oscar. 1 Oscar and 2 Sevs would look great in a 125. 125 may seem like a large tank, but its really not when occupied by foot long fish.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 11

Jauch21 replied the topic: Re:stocking my 125

daddadoo7 wrote: Oscars go good with chocolate cichlids too. Also i know allot of people like sd's but i hate them. They eat like lawn mowers once they settle in. I found that i had to over feed a bit to make sure everyone else got there fill. I rehomed them. As for convicts there are lots of cool convict types (cryptoheros) out there. Honduran red points, nanolutes, panamensis, sajica

I agree with the overfeeding an silver dollars. I have some large tinfoil barbs and they are vacuums. They will eat anything that enters the tank anytime. But there great to watch.

• Thank you received: 18

turtle lover replied the topic: stocking my 125

DO you have photos?

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds