Tank upgrade

• Thank you received: 254

DRACO replied the topic: Tank upgrade

and we love pictures LOL!...

you can use photobucket... just create an account there and post everything here

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Tank upgrade

Broom wrote: The new tank comes with another efx 300 filter so it total it'll give me 2200 lph. I was hoping this would be enough for the tank but if not I can upgrade to the fluval fx6.

This won't be enough filtration. You should have at least 3500 l/hr (i.e., 10x your volume) for an oscar in that size of tank.

I am glad he is in and seems to be doing fine so far. :)

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Tank upgrade

More filtration is always a good thing. You should have a quality canister to provide superior bio. You wouldnt have to jump all the way to an FX6. I always recommend the API Filstar line of canisters for small/medium sized tanks. The biggest is the xpxl, and in conjunction with the hobs would provide great filtration for the long haul. If you are set on an FX6 and dont mind the extra cost, it would easily handle the tank on its own.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Tank upgrade

I have an API Filstar XPL great unit so long as you cut the hose to the appropriate length. With your existing filtration you probably only need to add the Filstar XM. I personally find the FX6 too involved and like the Eheim units. A 2317 classic would work well with your setup. Just fill it with media and your are good to go.

As Suprd71 says, adding lots of bio media is best. Always have a mix of bio and mechanical and I also usually spread the load across two or three filters for larger tanks.

• Broom
  • Broom's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Broom replied the topic: Tank upgrade

I'll try and get some photos uploaded tonight when I get home from work.

As for the filtration, I managed to drop and crack one of the efx 300's when I was collecting it so at the moment I'm down to the one external and the bioflow 6.0 internal that is attached to the tank. Around 2000 lph.

I'm hoping the current filters will cope with the bio load for the next month or two until I get the cash for the fx6. The internal is a chunk and looks hideous in the tank so needs to go as soon as I have the funds.

• Broom
  • Broom's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Broom replied the topic: Tank upgrade

The tank is still quite bare as the only ornament I have is from the old tank. I'm off to the lfs tomorrow to pick up some bogwood and rocks.

The Oscar on top is being rehomed tonight so it'll just be the one.

The water is still looking a little cloudy. Will this settle over a couple of days?

Thanks

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds