Stocking my 300 ( 8x2x2.5 )

• PeteMoss
  • PeteMoss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

PeteMoss created the topic: Stocking my 300 ( 8x2x2.5 )

Wanted a second opinion on my stocking choices for my 8' x 2' x 2.5' tank?

Filtration wise I'm not worried at all. It has a sump with 2000gph through filter socks, carbon, and biological filtration. I also run a cryptarium to offer a home to aerobic and anaerobic bacteria. 80% water changes are completed weekly.

Here is a picture of the current stock. ( 5 oscars, 1 blood parrot, 16 Devario aequipinnatus )

My two adults who moved from a 125 are schooling with the 3 new oscars. All of the existing fish ( dithers aside ) are rescues.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Stocking my 300 ( 8x2x2.5 )

Wellcome to our community.

Fantastic looking aquarium, that is one showpiece. As for your stocking level, if it wasn't for the sump then I would probably be a bit worried about keeping the quality of the water in a good condition when they all reach adults. However, the fact that you have got this filtration should mean you can keep the water really good. However, until the Oscars reach maximum size you are really not going to know.

My 300 gallon was 8 x 2.5 x 2.5' and was fairly heavily stocked, but like you, I have a large sump. Which meant water conditions were excellent all the time.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• PeteMoss
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

PeteMoss replied the topic: Stocking my 300 ( 8x2x2.5 )

8 footers unite!

Glad to see someone else had success with a similar setup and stocking level. Thanks for sharing your experience with it. We'll see how the water quality ends up being at water change time once they're adults. I never got detectable ammonia or nitrites in the 125, and nitrates were never above 5ppm, so I've got my fingers crossed hoping to maintain similar levels.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

Once you start getting into the realms of large aquariums with sump filters, stocking levels can often be pushed a little further than if you only have the smaller external filtration systems.

• PeteMoss
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

PeteMoss replied the topic: Stocking my 300 ( 8x2x2.5 )

Once you go sump, you never go back.

In all seriousness, I've never done a tank without a sump after I set up my first reef aquarium. The benefits are just too awesome.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

People often ask about putting sump filters on the smaller aquariums but we normally tell them not to bother. Obviously Marine is a different ballgame altogether. However, Very large aquariums Can obviously accommodate a lot of large fish and to be honest with you, canister filters are just not up to the job in my opinion. Eheim manufacture a very large canister filter that can do something like 1200 L, but you would need at least two of those On a 300 gallon, and at £700 For two, you can forget it.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Stocking my 300 ( 8x2x2.5 )

Just to comment on the original stocking question. First, great looking tank, very natural setup. However, imo, swimspace is quite limited for 5 Oscars. 5 large waste producers may present a problem just removing feces with the way you have that tank laid out. Sure looks cool though!

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

This was my original sump filter which was located in the cabinet underneath the aquarium. I found it very difficult to maintain this filter in this location so we then designed another filter that sat next to the aquarium in its own cabinet, this was absolutely fantastic, it was around 75 gallons and had enough biological filtration to maintain an aquarium three times the size of what I had. The beauty with sump filters Is there is no set design, as long as you know the principal of how they work you can make your own design.

My second design was made out of a plastic water tank and had two filters installed, however 7000 L an hour was a little powerful, so one of the pumps was just left as a backup. There were also some built in compartments for the heating.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Stocking my 300 ( 8x2x2.5 )

i am with Suprd71 about the craps being trap with those decors...

i have an overstock 220 gal (6ft x 30" x 24") using DIY filter with plants (aquaponics)... being bare tank, i don't have any issue for quite sometime... i have 12 oscars in there...

• Thank you received: 18

turtle lover replied the topic: Stocking my 300 ( 8x2x2.5 )

OFL wrote: Wellcome to our community.

Fantastic looking aquarium, that is one showpiece. As for your stocking level, if it wasn't for the sump then I would probably be a bit worried about keeping the quality of the water in a good condition when they all reach adults. However, the fact that you have got this filtration should mean you can keep the water really good. However, until the Oscars reach maximum size you are really not going to know.

My 300 gallon was 8 x 2.5 x 2.5' and was fairly heavily stocked, but like you, I have a large sump. Which meant water conditions were excellent all the time.

The aquarium looks wonderful. What happen to the fishes inside?

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds