Concept to reality: 135g

• Rcguerra
  • Rcguerra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Rcguerra replied the topic: Re:Concept to reality: 135g

It ended up that the tank is 27" tall, not 24. That makes it a 151 gallons, not 135.

Based on that (and the fact that one of the oscars is becoming very dominant, eating twice as much as the smaller one) does it make any since to bring a third one to increase the chances of a pair or should I leave it as it is?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:Concept to reality: 135g

If the only issue is hogging food and not bullying, I would stand pat. You still wont know if these 2 will get along long term for many months, and adding a 3rd would only upset any balance you may currently have. Getting 2 Oscars to live together is difficult enough, 3 is quite rare. Observe the 2 you have, hope for the best.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Rcguerra
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Thank you.

• Rcguerra
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Today I found a Fluval 406 for cheap, just added that to the tank. Water is a little cloudy and for some reason, ammonia is not zero even though one of the filters is established. Maybe these guys put so much crap out that for me (used to planted tanks) it is just too much.

Did a 25%water change just to bring ammonia below 1, waiting for the course to complete.

• gorgoroth
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Evil IT Administrator
  • Thank you received: 80

gorgoroth replied the topic: Re:Concept to reality: 135g

you can always try to put in a divider so you can feed the 2 oscars seperatly, thus avoiding the foodhogging, having 2 oscars means there will always be one a bit more dominant then the other.

160 gallon south american
190 gallon malawi

• Rcguerra
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Apparently, the 1-2ppm of ammonia that was in the tank was slightly disturbing to the smaller guy: now that the bb kicked in, the smaller one is very food competitive, earing well (pellets, earthworms, bloodworms, brine shrimp and bovine meat).

I believe one will always be dominant, but the smaller one is most likely trying to reduce the gap.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:Concept to reality: 135g

Yes, ammonia is very harmful to Oscars, in particular youngsters with undeveloped immune systems. Suggestion.. stop feeding bovine meat immediately. You other feed is all good, mammal meat not a natural intake for omnivorous cichlids. Add freeze dried krill and a veg based pellet to the mix.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Rcguerra
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Interesting. Most of the videos on youtube in Portuguese, from Brazil, show (at some point), bovine meat being given to oscars.

Apparently, the rationale is that these fish share the same waters with piranhas, and some left overs floating around are taken by oscars as opportunistic food.

Since I am not experienced, I will stop the bovine as part of the rotation. My goal is to leave them on pellets and give live marble crayfish once I have them. Currently, I only have one that self cloned herself 24hrs ago. About three months to go...

• Thank you received: 18

turtle lover replied the topic: Re:Concept to reality: 135g

Rcguerra wrote: Interesting. Most of the videos on youtube in Portuguese, from Brazil, show (at some point), bovine meat being given to oscars.

Apparently, the rationale is that these fish share the same waters with piranhas, and some left overs floating around are taken by oscars as opportunistic food.

Since I am not experienced, I will stop the bovine as part of the rotation. My goal is to leave them on pellets and give live marble crayfish once I have them. Currently, I only have one that self cloned herself 24hrs ago. About three months to go...

Three months to what? Do u have a video or photo of ur oscar eating crayfish? Try feeding them insects, the primary food of the oscar.

• Rcguerra
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Three months to have adult crayfish to enrich their diet. My oscar is not eating crayfish yet, but several sources indicate that they eat "pitu", fresh water crustaceans from Tocantins, Amazonas, and other rivers where they are originally from.

I'll add insects to the rotation.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds