Can I swap from gravel to sand easily?

• cremator
  • cremator's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

cremator created the topic: Can I swap from gravel to sand easily?

I researched a lil bit, but I'd rather hear it from a community of experienced aquarium keepers. I set my 150gal tank up with some gravel That came with the tank, but now I'm really starting to hate the green, purple and white randomness of the rocks. My questions are, is tahitian moon sand an appropriate bed for oscars? And what way would I go about swapping the gravel to sand, if so? I don't want to stress my fish out, but I also don't want to fog up the tank with adding new material. Any info is greatly appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 40

face mcshooty replied the topic: Can I swap from gravel to sand easily?

there's 2 ways you can go about switching substrate

1 taking out the fish drain the water and simply scoop out the gravel (you can use a wet dry shop vac to get whatever you can't with the cup) replace with sand and refill the tank

the advantages of doing it this way you don't have to worry about the fish getting in the way and it's easier to work when that's no water

disadvantages it can be hard to catch the fish and you have to set some sort of a temporary tank up to put the fish in

2 drain the water down a little bit scoop out the gravel scoop some sand up in a cup and lower it to the bottom then gentle pour it out and repeat then refill whatever water is missing

the advantages of doing it this way the fish stays in the tank

disadvantages the fish may get in the way and stuff trapped in the gravel might cloud your water

both of these options stress the fish out a little but a healthy fish shouldnt have any real issues and your water will cloud a little but it should clear within a day or two

Don't dwell on what went wrong. Instead focus on what to do next

• Thank you received: 8

Vinny replied the topic: Re:Can I swap from gravel to sand easily?

When I did it I went with option 2 from above.. Only thing is I didn't go to sand I had to remove the substrate I used for my Africans and put regular gravel. To remove the current gravel go to your lfs and pick up 2 big cheap nets this way you can pull out the gravel quick and if you break them it's not your normal net. I happened to not break 1 doing so but I know it is a great possibility so buying a couple for a few dollars is worth it.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds