Hello newbie here want to learn

• pjp3oscars
  • pjp3oscars's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

pjp3oscars created the topic: Hello newbie here want to learn

New to this,just now found where you can type. Hello everyone, I have one 3" tiger oscar at this time, need to learn as much as possible. Have a 55gallon tank. Just starting out. Do want to get more, like 6 or so. Need to know the ideas for the decorative items and arrangements. Talk 2me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 40

face mcshooty replied the topic: Hello newbie here want to learn

welcome to oscar fish lovers :) the first thing you should now is that a 55 gallon is one big enough for a single oscar nothing else in fact you might want to upgrade to a 75 gallon ones he gets bigger i know the tank sems big know but trust me when i say it won't for long

as for decorations less is more oscars like swimming room so whatever you put in there keep it simple

out of curiosity did you circle the tank?

Don't dwell on what went wrong. Instead focus on what to do next

• pjp3oscars
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

pjp3oscars replied the topic: Hello newbie here want to learn

Yes I cycled the tank. That was a chore it did not want to cycle, but after a month it finually cycled. Started the tank 5 smaller fish, of which I took back to the pet store after 3weeks.

Love fish the OCARS are a nice friendly fish, as the one tiger oscar I have, when I clean tank it will follow my hand the whole time, come near the tank it looks at me & follows me, did not know fish are like that.

So if I want to breed like 6 to 8 pairs I need a 200gallon tank for each pair? That's near crazy. Can you house 2 in a 75 gallon tank ?

• Thank you received: 18

turtle lover replied the topic: Hello newbie here want to learn

Oscars are ok with no decoration, but if you want, bogwood and sand might be your first choice.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Hello newbie here want to learn

pjp3oscars wrote: Yes I cycled the tank. That was a chore it did not want to cycle, but after a month it finually cycled. Started the tank 5 smaller fish, of which I took back to the pet store after 3weeks.

Love fish the OCARS are a nice friendly fish, as the one tiger oscar I have, when I clean tank it will follow my hand the whole time, come near the tank it looks at me & follows me, did not know fish are like that.

So if I want to breed like 6 to 8 pairs I need a 200gallon tank for each pair? That's near crazy. Can you house 2 in a 75 gallon tank ?

You need around a 6 foot tank (125g minimum) for a breeding pair of oscars. Because you can't tell what sex they are and they don't reach sexual maturity until around 18 months, you will need tank to be at least 200 gallons to allow the 6-8 oscars to pair properly before getting rid of the other pairs.

Big 10-14" fish produce a tremendous amount of waste compared to smaller fish. It takes a lot of time to keep nitrates below 20ppm.

• pjp3oscars
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Wow it seems like you need to convert a swimming pool into one large tank, as these fish require so much space. I like these fish alot but I am in no way a rich person, to be buying several 200 gallon tanks.
Oh well live & learn. Have to relay all I have learned to my awesome wife, as she is the original one to pick the oscar. We need to weigh things out, as the fish are also for the children. You all so far big help. Does anyone want to buy 3" tiger oscar, & a 1 1/2" convent .

• Thank you received: 0

Arnz replied the topic: Hello newbie here want to learn

Hi,
Where do you live. Is the Tiger a female?
How much if so?
Cheers

• pjp3oscars
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Honesty I don't know if male or female. I am not good at the sexing, are you? I live in the high desert near Victorville, Ca. Sale cheep like $5. Its a good 3" long & very friendly fish. Tiger Oscar.

• Thank you received: 18

turtle lover replied the topic: Hello newbie here want to learn

pjp3oscars wrote: Honesty I don't know if male or female. I am not good at the sexing, are you? I live in the high desert near Victorville, Ca. Sale cheep like $5. Its a good 3" long & very friendly fish. Tiger Oscar.

Actually, oscars are hard to sex. The only time they can sexed is when they are breeding.

• Thank you received: 0

Arnz replied the topic: Hello newbie here want to learn

LOL I live in Australia...!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds