New to Oscars have questions.

• BigBoom217
  • BigBoom217's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

BigBoom217 created the topic: New to Oscars have questions.

I did a ton of research and decided that I was going to do two oscars in my 125g. Set up the tank cycled everything is good. (I have four other tanks from 2g to 55). I'm just a little curious about the settling in behavior and would like some clarification.

I observed their interaction with one another and these two seemed to be the most peaceful out of all of them and they appeared to get along (I know this may change at a later time and I already have a regime plan)

What is concerning me is the albino just sits on the bottom of the tank. Not gasping just kinda chilling. The red one hates me and whenever I walk up to the tank he hides but from afar I see him peacefully floating along with the other and then I noticed both of them just chilling on the bottom of the tank. Is this normal? (Been in the tank for 24hours)

Literally the only hikari food I could find was the floating pellets. So I bought omega one shrimp pellets as a backup. I didn't feed the first day and I tried today but neither seemed interested.

I read that oscars don't like bright light but I need to know what is bright? I have two 8.5 clamp work light reflectors with 6500k cfl bulbs and they are not pointed directly over the tank so they are getting indirect light from that. What do you guys think?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: New to Oscars have questions.

welcome to our community.

They have only been in your tank for a few short hours so it is to be expected that they may act a little bit strangely to begin with. I suspect they will probably settle down once they get used to their new environment.

Can I assume that the tank is being cycled properly before putting the Oscars in it?

If so, have you tested the water?

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Dutchkeeper replied the topic: New to Oscars have questions.

When i bought my oscar he swam after almost an houre happy through the tank. I have 12watt ledlight above my aquarium. I think they get used to the light. My oscar is small so he probaly get faster used to his enviroment some oscar need more time. What are you're water parameters?

• BigBoom217
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

BigBoom217 replied the topic: New to Oscars have questions.

Yes I cycled with pre established media it's been running for four months at 0/0/30-40.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: New to Oscars have questions.

Hello and welcome. Settling in takes time, there is no definite timeframe. 30-40 nitrate is too high. Through water changes, strive to keep that number under 20. Temp should be 78-84. What is your Ph? What is the filtration?

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• BigBoom217
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

BigBoom217 replied the topic: New to Oscars have questions.

Suprd71 wrote: Hello and welcome. Settling in takes time, there is no definite timeframe. 30-40 nitrate is too high. Through water changes, strive to keep that number under 20. Temp should be 78-84. What is your Ph? What is the filtration?

30-40 is on saturday before I do my PWC so I doubt it's 30-40 for the entire week. I only test on saturdays

Temp is 80.4F

PH is between 6 and 7

Fluval Fx6

While I was cleaning the kitchen today I was able to watch them digging around and playfully swimming with one another and one actually came up and ate a little bit so I'm no longer worried.

• TheOscarfishMan81
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

TheOscarfishMan81 replied the topic: Re:New to Oscars have questions.

My two oscars tuck 1 week to settle in and start accepting food properly and even now 4 months later they don't like my hand over the top of the tank I have to put food in and bring my hand to front of tank other wise they go to bottom of tank and sulk. Big babies some times lol

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds