New 180g tank

• Maxthecax
  • Maxthecax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Maxthecax created the topic: New 180g tank

I just got a new 180 gallon tank (6'x2'x2') Can i put 2 oscars, 1 Green Terror, and 1 Jack Dempsey? If that's not overstocked would i have enough more room for 3-5 Silver Dollars?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 18

turtle lover replied the topic: New 180g tank

Putting cichlids with oscars is tricky and some of most tricky cichlids are jack dempsey and green terror. It is possible for some, but for others, not, so do not expect it to work.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: New 180g tank

Getting 2 Oscars to get along is tough enough. The difficulty is sexing them. Should you luck out and get a m/f pair, or possibly 2 females that tolerate each other, Oscars rapid growth rate and large adult size is generally a disadvantage for other fish in the tank. I have had no luck with JD and GT together, they seem to hate each other, but do have each with Oscars. Not an Oscar pair though. My Oscar pair have a 180 to themselves,, they are adults and fill the tank out quite well.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Maxthecax
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Maxthecax replied the topic: New 180g tank

Instead of the JD would a Firemouth work better? If not is there another cool looking cichlids that would work?

You just cant say for sure what will work and what wont. FM is a small cichlid, and again may struggle with bigger fish. Per your Silver Dollar inquiry... a group of 5 is minimum recommended, they do make good additions in an Oscar tank. Severums are also good mates for Oscar tanks, but again, whatever you try, there is just no way to guarantee success

• Maxthecax
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Maxthecax replied the topic: New 180g tank

If the 2 oscars, 1 JD, and 1 GT did work, would I have enough room left for 5 Silver Dollars?

I would say no. Consider that Oscars can easily reach 14ins or more, and JD and GT can reach 10ish. I personally wouldnt even go with 4 large cichlids, never mind the SD's. 4 cichlids in a 180 leaves a realistic 40 or so gallons per fish. Not enough for big fish.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds