UK or US gallon

• turtle lover
  • turtle lover's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18

turtle lover created the topic: UK or US gallon

I actually realize something. When you say 75 gallons, is it 75 US gallon or 75 UK gallon?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: UK or US gallon

turtle lover wrote: I actually realize something. When you say 75 gallons, is it 75 US gallon or 75 UK gallon?

Good question, this confuses a lot of people. I'll let you make your mind up, 75 UK gallons is more water than 75 US gallons. I'm in the UK so when I say an Oscar needs an absolute minimum of 55 gallons, and I mean UK gallons. As far as I'm concerned 55 US gallons is not enough water.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• turtle lover
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

turtle lover replied the topic: UK or US gallon

Does that mean 1 oscar=66 US gallon

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

turtle lover wrote: Does that mean 1 oscar=66 US gallon

like I said, someone asked me how much one adult Oscar requires for tank size then I will say 55 gallons, which is obviously slightly more if you compare it to the equivalent in the US. I don't know who the first person was who came up with the 55 gallon figure for one Oscar, I suspect they were probably in the US so were working with US gallons. So it's probably fair to say that if you recommend 55 US gallons then nobody can really tell you you're wrong. At the end of the day, I simply don't know why there has to be a difference in litres between the US and Europe, all it does is make things complicated.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: UK or US gallon

There are books on oscars published in the 70s that state 29 gallons is sufficient for one oscar, which is woefully insufficient. The 55 us gal min is a vast improvement, though i agree that 75 us is better. I feel like my O is getting cramped in his 75 actually and may upgrade soon. Because of Kindle sales I saw that one of the 70s books on oscars (forget the title possibly the one by Neal Pronek) is still out there circulating.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

Poseidon2.0 wrote: There are books on oscars published in the 70s that state 29 gallons is sufficient for one oscar, which is woefully insufficient. The 55 us gal min is a vast improvement, though i agree that 75 us is better. I feel like my O is getting cramped in his 75 actually and may upgrade soon. Because of Kindle sales I saw that one of the 70s books on oscars (forget the title possibly the one by Neal Pronek) is still out there circulating.

I agree about the books from the 70s, I've got one that states some pretty bizarre facts about Oscars, including something about them being able to breed at about six months, have to try and find it, quite eye-opening. I sometimes wonder if these books were written without actually doing any hands-on research with the fish themselves. I also agree about 75 gallons, I think that it's just the case that many people can't accommodate any bigger than 55 gallons, or just don't have the money. It's a difficult one, I bet we could come back here in 25 years time and people will still be asking how big a tank should be for one adult Oscar :-)

• turtle lover
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

turtle lover replied the topic: UK or US gallon

The latest book I found by Neal Pronek, Aquarium Care of Oscars, put a recommendation of 55 gallons. I saw a quarterly about oscars before though that recommend 30 gallons but I am not sure how old is it.

• TheOscarfishMan81
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

TheOscarfishMan81 replied the topic: Re:UK or US gallon

I realised that my tank is 125 UK gallons and 150 U.S. Gallons

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: UK or US gallon

If you want to estimate the minimum size aquarium for the total length of a fish, here's a method used by an aquarium curator

www.reef2rainforest.com/2014/06/17/how-to-estimate-the-size-aquarium-needed-for-a-given-species-of-fish/

• S.S.
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • "Failure is giving anything less than your best"
  • Thank you received: 15

S.S. replied the topic: Re:UK or US gallon

If it's hard to have only one world measure for liquid how hard is to have only one gallons measure? Why are US and UK gallons different?

Tapaquê?!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds