Oscar Pond??

• Thank you received: 254

DRACO replied the topic: Oscar Pond??

as a parent... we want to oversee what the children is doing... but if you want to do a solar... just tell your mom you want to learn solar principle in actual application.. i am sure, she will be happy to approved it and help you in financial aspect about it...
The following user(s) said Thank You: lukester333

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Oscar Pond??

lukester333 wrote: I was wondering if I could just use multiple heaters...

You have to be careful and not blow a fuse in the electrical box every time the heaters go on, so you need to calculate the max wattage the fuse is able to handle and subtract whatever else is using that fuse. A typical fuse is rated at 15 or 20amps, so

IxV = W

15 AMPS x 110 V = 1650 Watts total ( I would strive for less)

20 AMP x 110 V = 2200 Watts total

• lukester333
  • lukester333's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

lukester333 replied the topic: Oscar Pond??

My mom said she's not too worried about the electricity bill, we have 3 phase electricity which is the highest available so running normal electrical heaters wouldn't be a problem, except of course with load shedding (I don't know if you know about South Africa's predicament with Eskom) I just don't know if I could use multiple large aquarium heaters??

• lukester333
  • lukester333's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

lukester333 replied the topic: Oscar Pond??

Would I have to apply the same principle as tanks with the 1 Watt per Gallon or per litre?? Or would it be different with large volumes of water

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Oscar Pond??

You will need about at least 5 watts per gallon for every 10 degrees F above the water temperature for an outdoor pond. Let's assume the pond temperature is about 50F.

((Desired Tank Temp − Room Temp) ÷ 10) × System Gallons × Watts per gallon = Watts Desired

Example:
100 Gallon System
73° Target temp
50° Room temp

(73 − 50) ÷ 10) × 100 × 5 = 1150 Watts on a single fuse

Then you have to think about how often the heater is on because in having an outdoor pond, a lot of the heat is lost. The more that the heater is on, the shorter the lifespan of the heater.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds