Starting my 125

• ashleyk
  • ashleyk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

ashleyk created the topic: Starting my 125

Hey everyone. I recently purchased a 6ft 125g from my LFS that is closing its doors soon and wanted to share my plans with you. Everything 50% off so I picked up the 125g setup for $350 brand new!

Filtration will be dual Eheim 2215 and 1 HOB rated 300gph. I'm not sure what I want the final stock to be but I know I want a tiger oscar and my boyfriend likes the pleco/catfish type. I'm currently thinking an oscar, 2 severums and a raphael catfish. At the moment I have sand and water in the tank but am waiting on my filters to get here to help with the dust cloud situation and start the cycle. Just wanted to share with everyone, and I'll keep you updated. I know I love watching everyone elses tanks grow so now I'll let you watch mine!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Starting my 125

Nice tank and a good deal. Your stock idea is quite good as well. You will however need much more filtration. Quality units you have in mind, just not enough for that tank and planned fish. Both filters are far too small for that tank. Larger capacity needed for both. Instead of the small hob, you could use a pair of 500gph, like Aquaclear 110's. What you have will not keep up mechanically or biologically. Quick edit I see you have a pair of canisters.. better, but the hob should still be a 110.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Starting my 125

Nice score for a great price! Look forward to the finished product. I agree with Dave on the filtration.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Starting my 125

dont use the canisters to get rid of the dust cloud. Use the hob with fine filter pads to do the work for you. It will be easier to change out the pads than the canister.

nice score!

• ashleyk
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

ashleyk replied the topic: Starting my 125

Thanks guys! I kinda figured I'd be a little low on the filtration. I'll get the extra filter when the fish grow out a bit since I think I'll have to get them all as youngsters. And Rocksor I put some filter floss in the canister until the dust cloud clears so it doesn't trash my good filter media. I don't mind taking the eheims apart, they're so easy!

• Thank you received: 8

Vinny replied the topic: Re:Starting my 125

I've never done sand before but isn't your "cloud" nothing but sand? If that's the fact since the tanks empty can't you just let it sit and have everything settle?? I mean I can obviously be wrong and missing something here so someone correct me if I am so when I do do sand I know what to expect.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• ashleyk
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

ashleyk replied the topic: Re:Starting my 125

Its some sand but its mostly just dust and I've heard possibly oil? Mine was cloudy for 2 days while I waited for the filter to get here. now a filter has been running for a couple days and its mostly clear with just a little cloudiness. You're supposed to rinse it but I didn't rinse it very much. Play sand is dirtier and finer than pool filter sand so I prefer filter sand. I had a hard time finding it though since I live in Michigan's Upper Penninsula :P

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds