Newbie setting up 165G oscar tank. How much more work is it?

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Newbie setting up 165G oscar tank. How much more work is it?

Just a reminder on stocking.... mixing cichlids is always a coin toss, even with those that are supposed to be milder and good community fish. Its not uncommon for fish to just hate each other. You may well have to change it up as you go. You may also hit a good balance first try. All part of the fun!

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Newbie setting up 165G oscar tank. How much more work is it?

THQ wrote: Also by the way, I had a look at the python and while it's fine for filling, it just wastes too much water for my liking when siphoning. Also looks pretty slow.

I think I'll put a powerhead in the tank eg., Dymax PH5000 (1320GPH) and pump out the water via a long hose to my garden (faster than sucking a siphon i would think). To refill for temperature matching do you guys just test the water out of the faucet and hose it in? Any issues with using the hot water out of the tap? When I was a kid I've always been told not to drink it, so was wondering whether it's safe for fish.

Cheers.

The water faucet does not to be on for draining. You can use the faucet to start the siphon process, and then turn it off once the siphon starts. You can also use gravity to drain it out to the garden or other container. Gravity drain will not be as fast as using a water pump.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds