Thoughts on new 75 gallon tank with adopted Oscar?

• Vlcnus
  • Vlcnus's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Vlcnus created the topic: Thoughts on new 75 gallon tank with adopted Oscar?

I recently got a 75 gallon tank for an Oscar I bought from a local store. I already had a 55 but the new tank was too good of a deal to pass up I think.

I got the tank, glass lids, an I believe aqueon light, 2 250W heaters, a Python like water change system, a few big pieces of driftwood, 70 lbs of sand, a 3D background, an API test kit, a few fake plants, a long algae scraper, a wooden stand, and a Fluval FX5 for $350. How'd I do?

So I'm running the fluval and a marineland c360 I had on my 55 now. The extra space is great and the Oscar seems happy now that he had a chance to settle in.

Any thoughts or suggestions, tips or tricks on things I'm missing for a happy Oscar?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Thoughts on new 75 gallon tank with adopted Oscar?

Hello and welcome to OFL. I think you got a great deal. Oscar will surely appreciate the extra space. Keep the c360 running with the FX for at least 2 months to let the FX develop its own bacteria colony. 70lbs of sand sounds like a bit much, you dont want it too thick. You likely wont need 2 heaters either, but a backup is always good. Make good use of the test kit, keep ammonia and nitrite at 0, nitrate under 20. Depending on the size of the fish, you may need a 2x weekly water change. Even if you dont need it, do it anyways. Nothing but benefit for the fish keeping the water as clean as possible. And finally.. lets have a look at your Oscar. Treat us with some pics or video!

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Vlcnus
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Vlcnus replied the topic: Thoughts on new 75 gallon tank with adopted Oscar?

Hopefully the picture shows up well. He's about 6 inches. The shop told me about a year old at a guess but I'm thinking closer to 6 months?

[img]http://http://imgur.com/nGDpu5g

• Vlcnus
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Beautiful Oscar! He could be anywhere from 9 months and older. Genetics and prior care play a role.

• Vlcnus
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Thanks!

Seems we've had a breakthrough today. He has been very sulky and shy since I got him even with good water quality. Always hiding behind the driftwood when I was in the room. Not interested in pellets or bloodworms at all. I fed freeze dried shrimp every few days just so he ate something and he went for them although reluctantly.

Today I drop the shrimp in and he seems as hesitant as ever to eat it and after he does its right back to hiding. So I sit down in front of the tank and wait and he finally comes out and swims around chasing the pieces of shrimp that go flying everywhere. All together more curious and exploratory than I've seen so far. Still shy but progress!

• Thank you received: 24

Phantom replied the topic: Thoughts on new 75 gallon tank with adopted Oscar?

Sounds like you got a great deal and a great fish. I payed way to much for my 90g lol. Suprd71 has you covered. I'd also suggest to keep trying with the pellets until he starts taking them and then feed just pellets for a couple weeks so he gets used to them. He won't starve himself and the more freeze dried shrimp you give him the harder it will be to get him pellet trained. Once he's reliably eating the pellets you can feed him the shrimp as a special treat once in a while.

He'll become friendly soon enough, just spend as much time in front of the tank as you can. My current wild oscar would absolutely freak out at first; was not used to humans at all but even he came around and has tons of personality and eats anything.

• Vlcnus
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

So far so good with the Oscar. But I do have a concern about the tank itself. The inner seal has lots of tiny bubbles and what appears to be algae growing under it.

The tank was used and in continuous use according to the previous owner. For whatever reason even after checking the seams I just didn't notice this and now I'm wondering how concerned I should be.

Thanks

Yes, a concern. The edge in the bottom pic is flaking and tearing away. Looks like a diy reseal was done at some time. Could still last a long time, but an emergency backup plan is def in order.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Thoughts on new 75 gallon tank with adopted Oscar?

Do you have a different thermometer other than the sticker?

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds