Feedback on custom tank dimentions

• Angel.M
  • Angel.M's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Angel.M created the topic: Feedback on custom tank dimentions

Hello I'm looking for feedback on my plans to make my own tank for my two Oscars and my 10in. pleco to live in. I picked a 150 gallon tank and with the help of a friend who has built aquariums before. We are building everything from the stand to the lid. The toppers lighting will be provided by a simple white led setup that this person has done before.
I had two Ideals for the dimensions.
The first being 35in wide by 45in long and 24in high only will be filled 22in though.
and the second would be a 40in wide by 40in long by 24in high with being filled only to the 22 in line again.
I wanted to get some feedback from you guys before I finalized it as I already have the aquarium safe sealant and the cutting tools just haven't bought the glass yet.
both hold around 150 us gallons when filled to the 22in line the second option only holds approximately .5 gallons more. I am also open to any suggestions by the community as well.

This is the site I used for calculating the dimensions www.aquariumdimensions.com/calculator.htm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Feedback on custom tank dimentions

Have you actually got the glass/acrylic yet? What is the longest piece you have to work with? I think we would probably all agree that you are better off with a longer tank, rather than wider and higher. Therefore you could custom make your tank to 72 x 24 x 22 which would bring you out to 160 US gallons. (137 UK)

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Feedback on custom tank dimentions

You are better off getting the longer tank than a shorter tank.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Feedback on custom tank dimentions

I would recommend no less than a 6x2x2 180g tank. Curious, have you ever cut 1/2 or 5/8 thick glass? The regular hardware store glass cutter aint gonna cut it(pardon the pun) . Glass is expensive, and you should at least have a tempered bottom(real expensive) You cant just slap a big tank together with silicone. Sil is a sealant, not an adhesive. Has no inherent strength. Perhaps you already know all this, but imo, diy tanks only become economically viable in several hundred gallon sizes, generally plywood all round with a glass front.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds