looking for advice in making a suitable home for Oscar.

• TrevorB206
  • TrevorB206's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

TrevorB206 created the topic: looking for advice in making a suitable home for Oscar.

Hello everyone, back in 2012 my 5 year old niece got a fish for a pet which they had in a tiny little 10 gallon fish tank. Which to my surprise was an Oscar fish. I've never really been into fish but I ended up being the main caretaker of that fish eventually and fell in love with it. Fortunately it was just a little guy and had only spent a couple weeks in that tiny tank when I learned just how big they really get I scraped up what little money I had and bought a 55 gallon for him and took him as my fish. I bought a nice canister filter and everything and was amazed by the personality he showed. Unfortunately after doing everything I could to give him a home at the end of the day it was the non locking top of he aquarium that took my Oscar away as one day I got home and he had jumped out of the aquarium and I was unable to save him. I used to be a part of this community. But after that i couldn't get myself to get another Oscar fish and I sold off all of my equipment. It's been 3 years now and I am in a much better situation and a few days ago after finding a good deal I bought a 150 gallon aquarium I have just sitting and I think the first thing I am gonna do is mod the top somehow to make it capable of locking. Anyways I bought the tank and and plan to spend the next few weeks gathering supplies and when I am all done I intend to go pick up one single Oscar and give him a home in this tank. I'm hoping this time I can be successful. I guess my question is last time I had to scramble and just get the best equipment I could, this time I want to make sure I have the best environment for him possible. What would equipment would you guys recommend for filtering? And making sure a single Oscar is happy and healthy in a 150 gallon aquarium? Last time I believed I had an eheim 150 gallon canister filter and a HOB filter for my 55. Any help or advice is highly appreciated. I'm hoping in a couple of weeks I will have this tank up and ready to go.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: looking for advice in making a suitable home for Oscar.

For a single oscar, the eheim 2217 is sufficient enough to handle the bioload. Just use one coarse blue sponge, and the biomedia that comes with it. You can add an AC110 filled with fine filter floss like quilt polyester batting material from Walmart. If you do not like canister filters, you could run 3 AC 110 HOB, and that should be sufficient for only 1 oscar in a 150g.

Make sure you get at least 2 250 watt heaters for the tank. I would also get a liquid test kit. I'm assuming you still have your water changer. Since you do not have a cycled tank, I would do a fishless cycle with the filter. You can get pure ammonia from Ace Hardware (Janitorial Ammonia).

• TrevorB206
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

TrevorB206 replied the topic: looking for advice in making a suitable home for Oscar.

okay cool sounds good. I don't have a problem with canister filters at all. I am kinda new to this so I am not really sure what is best, however, it seemed my canister filter was better than both of my HOB filters back then. I do still have my old water changer I think actually. I will have to go dig it out I sold most of my old stuff. I guess my thing is I don't want to have to deal with some of the problems I dealt with last time. I had a hard time last time because I wasn't in the financial situation but I made it work. I guess now since I can afford it I am really just trying to find the best filtration setup possible. I am not sure if it was just because I had a 50 gallon tank, or perhaps the fact that I never really intended to have an oscar, or anything but I had a really hard time keeping clean water in his tank and I used to do water changes religiously it seems. I loved that fish. This time I have time and I am not in a rush so I intend to wait until I have everything I need before I get the fish. so you think one eheim 2217 will be fine?

Rocksor replied the topic: looking for advice in making a suitable home for Oscar.

If you only have the one oscar, there is enough biomedia in it to handle the ammonia and nitrites, plus you have 150g of water. Just be sure to get the test kit, it will make sure that everything is fine.

• Thank you received: 55

theniceguy9112 replied the topic: looking for advice in making a suitable home for Oscar.

I currently use an API Filstar XP filter in my 55 gallon tank, and I know they make one more size bigger for larger aquariums. I find that canister filter to be a little easier to use IMO. Very easy to clean and maintain as well as powerful enough to create a pretty decent current in the tank itself. Price wise I think both are around the same. I've had my filter for about 2 years now, and its pumping nice and strong!

With 150 gallon tank you have a pretty good home for your Oscar. There is also enough room in there to throw in a few Silver Dollars or something along those lines, just to add a little more movement to the tank. The option is available, and its nice be able to have that. Makes me a little jealous to be honest. I don't have the space for a tank that large, but I'll get there some day.

One thing I would also recommend is two heaters. With that much water (and I'm assuming a 6 foot tank) it would help to keep a constant temperature throughout the entire tank. Also saves a little on electricity, lol.

• TrevorB206
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

TrevorB206 replied the topic: looking for advice in making a suitable home for Oscar.

@ theniceguy I know what you mean, when I had my original fish the truth is I wasn't in a very good position to take the fish. In all reality when i found out the size tank he really needed I couldn't believe my local walmart would seriously sell him to a lady and lead her to belive that a 10 gallon aquarium is acceptable. But I wanted to give him more I was limited on space, and money. Looking back I should have just rehomed him but I became attached to that fish, and I didn't want him to end up with someone who would give him a worse home than I was able to give. I just recently got my first house though so I have the extra space. And the tank just kinda fell in my lap. I will most likely throw in some silver dollars or something small like that eventually. I guess just because I had water quality problems in the past I want to make sure that is all well first you know? the oscar is my number one priority but when I feel comfortable I will probably add a couple more fish. Honestly I even considered adding in another Oscar I just really want to make sure he has a quality home and I recognize that last time I probably had too many fish. Anyways for anyone who is interested I recently ordered alot of equipment. I ordered two heaters, I ordered a testing kit, aquarium decor, etc. I also ordered two fluval 406 100 gallon canister filters for my aquarium. I am hoping to be able to go pick up an oscar sometime in the next week. I am just in the process of deciding if I should go to the local fish store that has nice quality fish or if I should save one of the oscars from my local wal mart and or big chain pet store.

• Thank you received: 8

Vinny replied the topic: Re:looking for advice in making a suitable home for Oscar.

Local fish store nice quality fish

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You will be more frustrasted with a possibly sick fish. Get a quality fish and enjoy the hobby!

• TrevorB206
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

I just wanted to let everyone who responded to this post know, somebody earlier responded assuming my tank was a 6 foot tank but I kind of went right past the comment not thinking. However, during the process of setting up my aquarium and preparing to pick up my new oscar I realized that my 150 gallon didn't look like it was 6 feet at all. and I did some research and it doesn't even look as big as even a normal 125 gallon aquarium. I know the person I bought it from and knew he wouldn't lie to me but I measured it out anyways and found that it has odd measurements from what I can tell and is not a 6 foot aquarium. The dimensions for this aquarium are 24"L x 48"W x 30"H. I talked to my friend and he purchased it a few months back from Petsmart. At first I was a little upset as I would rather have the 6 foot aquarium, something I didn't really consider when I originally bought it because it was such a good deal. I guess my last and final question is with this aquarium being only 4 feet long... is that enough for even a single oscar? It is kinda upsetting but I have also already bought everything for it. If it is a problem I am willing to resell and find something else.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds