New Oscar Tank, 75 gallon - questions regarding set up

• Fengoat
  • Fengoat's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Fengoat created the topic: New Oscar Tank, 75 gallon - questions regarding set up

Howdy all,

I'm fairly new to the aquarium shindig, but I've been researching on Oscars for nearly six weeks. On impulse, I picked up a 75 gallon tank with a stand for about 100 usd. Barely used, in good shape. I've now decided to follow through on getting an Oscar. I'll still need a few things, which I'm still unsure on.

Thus far, I have pool filter sand for substrate and a pair Eheim 2215 filters. I believe the filtration should be sufficient. I'm also planning on picking up two 150w heaters--non glass of course. Python water siphon and glass cover are inbound--it's an aqueon tank, so there's stuff made for it at least. So my questions are relatively simple and straightforward.

1) LED lighting - I'm not going to make this a planted tank for obvious reasons. What would be recommended for a lighting rig for an Oscar that wouldn't bother the fish? They like low light conditions, but I'd like to at least see the lug. Would a system that shifts between normal and simulated moonlight be appreciated by the fish?

2) Tank Mates - Everything I've read suggests a 75 gallon is recommended for a single Oscar and no tank mates. I have a soft spot for pictus catfish and I wanted to have some, but I don't want to stress the Oscar or make things difficult for my filter setup to handle. Should I skip the shoal of pictus this time around or is there an exception to certain cases?

3) Items in tank - So I know most fish like to have a safe spot to hide in, but I rarely see an Oscar tank with anything large enough to hide in. Is that normal for them to be out in the open all the time? Should I just accommodate the tank with things the fish can move do it can do what it wants with the uh..."decorating"?

4 - Airstones - Are they useful for Oscars? Will they nib at the tubing?

5 - At cycle completion - Will a single baby Oscar be enough to maintain the nitrogen cycle of a tank after it has completed a fishless cycle?

Cheers and thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: New Oscar Tank, 75 gallon - questions regarding set up

1. you can put a light diffuser in between the light and the tank. Shifting between sun and moon ligt is not necessary. I do not have a canopy on the top of my aquarium and just use the light in the room.

2. If it fits in the oscar's mouth, it will try to eat it sooner or later, and you can end up losing 2 fish. If this is your first time keeling a big fish, stick with only an oscar.

3. when small they like a hiding place to retreat to. Make sure that the hiding place is not sharp or they have plenty of room to turn in there, otherwise, they will get scratched up.

4. airstone is not needed

5. the bacteria in the tank will adjust to the amount of ammonia produced. If you dose for 2ppm of ammonia, and no more, this will be fine to support a baby oscar in a 75g

• Thank you received: 24

Phantom replied the topic: New Oscar Tank, 75 gallon - questions regarding set up

For lighting you might be interested in getting an elive track light system. Easily customized by buying individual "pods" that you click into place until you are satisfied. I have only 6 color enhancing pods on mine and it keeps my tank very dimly lit but I'm still able to enjoy viewing. You can even arrange the pods so you have dark sections of the tank and bright.

With a 75 gallon tank and 1 oscar you will be limited to what you can have as a tankmate. Pictus cats need to be in a group so I'd pass on those; not enough space. A good tank mate would be imo a striped raphael catfish. They can grow to a fair size but are slow growers. Heavily armored and will eat anything. Can easily hold its own if the oscar decides to get rough. If you get a striped raphael get one that has some size to it (4+ inches) just to be safe. Like I said they are slow growers and if they are both purchased as babies the oscar will outgrow the raphael pretty quick. If its too small the oscar may try to swallow it and its spines will get stuck in the oscar's throat and both will perish. I had one these with my albino oscar and he was great. Max size 8-10 inches and live a VERY long time, 20+ years. A 75 gallon only has enough space for 1 and even then I'd say that's pushing it due to the fact that the raphael needs hiding spots at night and this will take up some of the oscar's swimming space but it can be done. :)

• Thank you received: 8

Vinny replied the topic: Re:New Oscar Tank, 75 gallon - questions regarding set up

Hey rocksor quick question this light defuser stuff. My new lights bright as hell. Fish still acting the same. They only sulk if I throw the blue nighttime joint on. Should I get a defuser to dim it down some?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re:New Oscar Tank, 75 gallon - questions regarding set up

I don't use blue lighting, so I am not sure if a diffuser will help. What happens if you just leave the light above the tank off?

• Thank you received: 8

Vinny replied the topic: Re:New Oscar Tank, 75 gallon - questions regarding set up

I don't plan on using the blue light but the regular light itself is bright. It doesn't seem to bother them but who knows.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds