possibly moving to wooden floors :(

• jnet
  • jnet's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 182

jnet created the topic: possibly moving to wooden floors :(

I have my tank on a concrete floor at the moment but we are looking to move house and the house we like has wooden floors I imagine the move is going to be a stress as it is and moving a fully stocked aquarium will be a stress but are wooden floors going to be suitable for the sheer weight of water?

this is said tank its about 900litres with sump so its alot of glass as well how much do you think this weighs? Im worried that I wont be able to keep this tank running. I also have pond fish that I dont want to rehome not sure what to do but one of my fish Ive had for 22years and Im not giving him a way.

I'm living my life, but not necessarily in the right order :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: possibly moving to wooden floors :(

If indeed your tank is 900 L, that is approximately 197 gallons. I would probably estimate at a rough guess that once you include the weight of the tank, sump and anything else then you be looking at about two tons. There is absolutely no way that you could put that on a wooden floor. Not unless the wood was directly on top of concrete, or unless it's a properly reinforced wooden floor. Even then, I wouldn't do it without getting it looked at properly by a surveyor or professional.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• jnet
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

jnet replied the topic: possibly moving to wooden floors :(

yea this is what I was thinking but obviously when we move will be same day I get keys and so these fish will have to move on that day also along with my pond fish. hmmmm I wont have time to get a builder in to reinforce the floor unless they can do that quick whilst we are moving. I reckon it will be a very stressful time

• gorgoroth
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Evil IT Administrator
  • Thank you received: 80

gorgoroth replied the topic: possibly moving to wooden floors :(

if you're talking about ground level, there are always foundations under the floor, so kinda like concrete. i currently have 1 600l and one 500l sitting on a wooden floor on the ground level, no issues at all. and in the very near future i'm getting rid of the 500l and 600l and replacing them with one 1300L tank. I have faith in the floor :p

160 gallon south american
190 gallon malawi

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: possibly moving to wooden floors :(

yes.. that tank could weight 2 tons but the weight will be distributed to its leggings.
so the concentration of the weight can be allocated to the number of legs touching the floor.
wooden floor can carry the load... all you have to do is put some wooden plate to protect the
wood plank flooring from dent due to weight.

• jnet
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

jnet replied the topic: possibly moving to wooden floors :(

Yea its ground floor. Someone on fb suggested putting plywood under the tank to share the weight load. And grants dad is a builder and he says he will come and see the floor but he thinks in the worse case we would just need to put more supports in like build up bricks. I'm feeling a bit more positive as I really don't want to sell my tank and regime the fish.

• Thank you received: 8

Vinny replied the topic: Re:possibly moving to wooden floors :(

I couldn't imagine moving a full tank and pond. I'm stressed out just knowing I want to paint the room my tanks in, and spin the tank "make the current front the back". Good luck I mean I know it's done all the time but it's got to be stressful

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.240 seconds