Considering my first Oscar

• LovesLC
  • LovesLC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

LovesLC created the topic: Considering my first Oscar

Hi OscarFishLover
I am considering getting my first Oscar, and I have been reading books and online but of course I still have questions.
My husband and I have kept freshwater tanks for several years and I have always thought about keeping an Oscar, but we never had what I considered a big enough tank.
We recently purchased a larger tank that will be set up in a room that we are remodeling.
I have been researching fish that we can possibly keep in this tank.
The tank is 8ftL X 2ftW X 20 in H and 200 gallons.
Could we keep 1 Oscar and at least 6-8 Silver Dolllars and 6-8 Clown Loaches?
Is that pushing it space-wise and compatibility-wise?
If compatible should all fish be babies/small at purchase and all introduced at one time?
Or should the CLs and SDs be somewhat grown and Oscar a baby so they will be larger than Oscar?
I have been going back and forth trying to decide if we should try CLs, SDs or Oscar and I finally thought possibly we could keep all 3, or maybe 2 of those 3.
Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Considering my first Oscar

Hello and welcome to OFL. The fish you are interested in do indeed go well together. There will come a day when the CL will make for an overstocked tank, but that is many years down the road. I would try for a size of 2-3ins so baby Oscar doesnt try to snack on them right away. As for the SD, they grow quicker, are tougher and faster, so a handful of those would be ok at Oscars size.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• LovesLC
  • LovesLC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

LovesLC replied the topic: Considering my first Oscar

Thank you! We have a few months to think about it since the room is not ready yet where the tank will go. But I am leaning toward one of the residents being an Oscar.
I might look at other loaches similar to CL that will not outgrow the tank.

• Thank you received: 254

DRACO replied the topic: Considering my first Oscar

hey Suprd71, just want to check, are SD really grow fast? if that is so, something is wrong with my SD, i have them for 3 years and they never grow... yes, i agree with the loaches, they grow slowly too... but love them to watch in schooling!

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Considering my first Oscar

DRACO wrote: hey Suprd71, just want to check, are SD really grow fast? if that is so, something is wrong with my SD, i have them for 3 years and they never grow... yes, i agree with the loaches, they grow slowly too... but love them to watch in schooling!

lol, I meant to give the impression that SD will grow quicker than CL. What kind of SD you have Paul? Perhaps they are full grown already?

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Considering my first Oscar

what to consider. get one.. learn as much as possible. raise one to adult hood and keep it healthy as long as you can.

it will be one of the more rewarding fish keeping exeriences you ever have. ... you may go and try tons of different other tank setups. .. but you will alway think about going back to an Oscar tank. ;)

have fun

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds