second and third story aquariums...anyone have them?

• TrevorB206
  • TrevorB206's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

TrevorB206 created the topic: second and third story aquariums...anyone have them?

Hello everyone I am still in the process of fully moving into my new house here and I have a little space in my bedroom which is on the second floor of my new house and I picked up a 75 gallon aquarium and decided to set this one up in my bedroom. I was lazy and decided just to use some cinder blocks for a stand for right now however I am in the process of setting it up. I think it should be fine and I am sure people ask this question all the time but I figured I would just throw it out there to see what people say. I didn't really consider how much weight I would be putting on the floor until I was already in the process of setting it up. It is a 75 gallon tank and I calculated the weight and everything out to upper 700 lbs. The tank dimensions are 48x18x21 and I placed the aquarium up against a load bearing wall where I know it hits at the very least three joists, maybe even 4. I also know there is no damage to the structure of the house. Does anyone have any experience with this? I know nobody can give me a guarantee but Im just curious if anyone has had any experience with this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: second and third story aquariums...anyone have them?

Not a problem. I have a 125 and 75 on 2nd floor. Outside wall. Have had a 90 there with them too. You will be fine

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: second and third story aquariums...anyone have them?

i agree wit Suprd71 (Dave), 75 gal is just around 284 kg spread in 4 points...
legs of the tank...

• TrevorB206
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

TrevorB206 replied the topic: second and third story aquariums...anyone have them?

awesome, good to know guys. just to clarify though I was wrong earlier a couple extra factors I was cheap and used a cinder block stand so my 75 does weigh an extra 100 lbs than normal. also in regard to the floor joists I was wrong yesterday I don't know what I was thinking actually because they are 16" apart. So there is no way I hit 4. I know for a fact I hit atleast two, but maybe even three. anyways while I have this thread started I might as well bring up another topic because I got it all filled and setup and everything yesterday. I probably should have just used this site for advice but now I am wondering what the best way for me to cycle this aquarium is. I listened to my LFS and used the aquarium quick start and got a few smaller fish to live in there for right now to help cycle the aquarium but after I read the article on OFL I realized that the aquarium quick start stuff isn't recommended. I hardly remember the cycling process I went through with my first aquarium years ago but I remember just listening to the local pet store at the time and I had a couple convicts in it the next day which were the fish I was intending to keep at the time. It was just a little 29 gallon tank. Then I ended up giving in and getting an oscar rehoming the convicts and upgrading tank sizes. So I am curious what I should do now in regards to getting this tank cycled as fast and best as possible. Any advice is appreciated. As much as I am really wanting to get my oscar like yesterday I also know that health is the most important part of owning one. but I know this tank needs to be cycled. all help is appreciated. How would you cycle an aquarium if you didn't already have an established tank? thanks guys.

• Thank you received: 8

Vinny replied the topic: Re:second and third story aquariums...anyone have them?

Fast as possible is. The rough part. It's basically daily water changes and time. Test the water to see where you stand. Ammonia spikes then nitrite then nitrate then it balances. Use prime to keep the ammonia and all non toxic to the fish.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• TrevorB206
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

TrevorB206 replied the topic: Re:second and third story aquariums...anyone have them?

okay so the aquarium quick start and throwing a few tetras in the tank will work with time then? I am on the right track? I also did get some tank water from my lfs with the fish too. I just want to get it up as fast as possible. I miss having an oscar which is why I bought these tanks. Plus my LFS is getting more oscars in today so I am hoping that I will be able to get one sometime soon. I was just worried because I seen on here that there was some doubts about the api quickstart.

Vinny replied the topic: Re:second and third story aquariums...anyone have them?

I've tried all that stuff and trial and error always equaled time. Your on the right track. Just test water daily, daily water changes and use prime so the tetras don't get all jacked up. 3 4 weeks and tank will be cycled. That quick start stuff doesn't make it any faster trust me I've used bottles.

You can't rush a natural system from setting up

• TrevorB206
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

TrevorB206 replied the topic: Re:second and third story aquariums...anyone have them?

yeah no I understand and that is fine. I am curious though. I know I already used the API quick start stuff. But is there anyway I can switch to a fishless cycle still if I decided to rehome the tetras? I am just curious I would prefer not to use them.

I have no clue. I assume yeah why not but I dont know

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds