Cycling my aquarium

• Thank you received: 27

Craigsfish replied the topic: Cycling my aquarium

Since you changed 90 percent you should be OK. Is your test kit expired? the Quick start wont cause you any problems. Like I said before just add the shrimp now then do small water changes everyday or even every other about 20 percent of the water. Patience is the key. I promise you if you follow this path in a few weeks your tank will be cycled. Go to the local fish store and see if they will at least give you some gravel from one of there tanks, put in in a mesh bag ,put it in your filter and that will help speed up the process
even without the gravel it will get there just a bit longer....you got this, be patient..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Cycling my aquarium

Shake the ammonia bottle, if it does not bubble then it is fine. Redose a 1/4 teaspoon or less at a time then and check the ammonia reading in an hour. It should not go above 2ppm. A capful is enough to make the ammonia go up to 8ppm in a 55 gallon tank. The tank should not smell of ammonia. Dosing calculator at the bottom. Setting the desired dosage of 2ppm will be enough for a fishless cycle.

www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm

If you use decaying food, you risk growing pathogenic bacteria that could infect your new fish.

Make sure the ph stays above 6.5. If it goes below that, do a water change.

You can do it with harsh chemicals or you can cycle tank the natural way, I would prefer not to use chemicals, choice is yours... Once the BB take hold any pathogenic bacteria is very unlikely.

• TrevorB206
  • TrevorB206's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

TrevorB206 replied the topic: Cycling my aquarium

ok guys. I am not sure what the expiration date on my testing kit is so I will let you know when I check. Although now I am worried about what kind of ammonia I used. that doesn't show up. I assure you I used about 50 caps of the stuff. And yet still NO reading. I realized I added too much last night but while doing it the guide said to just add until you get a reading... and I never got a reading. My room smelled of ammonia so I did like a 90% water change and it still smells of ammonia. I tested again this morning and still reading 0. i used almost half of the bottle and it has to be a liter bottle or so. I am not sure what the problem is here. The ammonia I used is Las Totally Awesome Clear Ammonia. I got it from the nearby dollar store. It doesn't list any ingrediants or anything. However, when I shake it it doesn't bubble, and when I dumped it all in yesterday it didnt bubble either.

• TrevorB206
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

I am not sure where to go from here. I just want to get the cycle going. But I don't even want to do that not knowing what I really added to my tank yesterday.

• TrevorB206
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Hey I just thought about it. Are you referring to pure ammonia? The stuff I had was clear ammonia... Maybe there is less ammonia in it?

I'm just giving you info on cycling in a easy format with shrimp. If you want to go with the ammonia route Rock can help you more. Being that you never done this before I just think starting over with shrimp and some media from your LFS is the way to go.... Simplicity

• Thank you received: 8

Vinny replied the topic: Re:Cycling my aquarium

I'd go with some cheap hearty danios or tetras like you had and rock out with them to cycle.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Cycling my aquarium

Pathogenic bacteria exist within the decaying organic material. You clean filters and gravel vacuum the subtrates to remove as much of the decaying organic material, which you will see as brown mulm.

Using pure ammonia is not a harsh chemical. There is typically anywhere from 5% to 10 % ammonia, whereas the rest is water. Fish excrete ammonia from their gills. If the bottle does't bubble up, then it is safe, and does not contain surfuctants. Ace hardware has janitorial ammonia that is 10% ammonia and 90 % water.

If you use shrimp, fish food, or any other organic matter, it will decay at an unpredictable and inconsistent rate to produce ammonia. You will have to test more often because ammonia is not produced right away.

If you do a fish in cycle, you have to do more work to keep the ammonia and nitrite no higher than 0.25 ppm during th cycle process. This means daily water changes on top of the testing the water. If ammonia gets too high, the fish will get sick.

The easiest and fastest way to cycle is to do a fishless cycle with ammonia.

• TrevorB206
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

@ Rocksor I was using the guide on OFL to do this cycle. I want to continue it but I don't know what is wrong here... At first I used Clear Ammonia and way too much of it and never got any showing up on the test. I did a 90% water change last night. And today I realized the problem may be that it isn't pure ammonia. I went and bought the same brand but Pure Ammonia put a half of a table spoon in and let it circulate for 30 minutes before testing it again to get 0 ppm once again. In the interest of testing and trying to figure out what is going on here I took a 3 gallon bucket filled it half way with water, I think took the pure ammonia and dumped like in between a quarter to a half of the entire bottle of pure ammonia which is like a liter into the bucket and tested it and it read 0 as well. Do you have any idea what may be going on here I am sorry to ask you like this. I know you arn't here to check or anything. But I am frustrated and don't know what is going on and also kinda desperate because I really want to get this aquarium up and going so I can get an oscar.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds