Cycling my aquarium

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Cycling my aquarium

Is there an expiration date on any of the.ammonia test bottles? If not what is the lot number on bottle one and bottle two of the ammonia test bottles?

According to this link, the ammonia you purchased is the one to not use for a fishless cycle. www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/brands-of-ammonia-to-use-avoid-for-fishless-cycling-156038.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TrevorB206
  • TrevorB206's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

TrevorB206 replied the topic: Cycling my aquarium

I wasn't able to find the expiration date. However, I went and bought a new testing kit and instantly got an ammonia level. Wow. So mine does have an additive in it? Where do I go from here then? How do I clean something like that and make sure it is safe for the fish?

Rinse everything
The following user(s) said Thank You: TrevorB206

• TrevorB206
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

okay. I am in the process of taking all the water out right now. I am about half way and the stuff has been in there a little less than 24 hours. I was able to find some ace hardware janitorial in a town about an hour away from me so I am just gonna have my friend who lives there pick it up for me I will have it tonight. So I just rinse everything thoroughly? I am asking because I don't have much in my tank currently but a few things. I have sand what should I do about that? I also have a canister filter and I only have the media it came with and a few extra fine filter pads. I was planning on ordering more media this weekend anyways so it isn't a big deal but am I good to rinse that and leave it also? or do i need new media and everything? thanks again.

Just rinse everything.

You can use the hose on the gravel cleaner, without the large piece, to suck out the gravel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TrevorB206

• TrevorB206
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

okay, thank you. I ripped everything out of my aquarium and took everything down last weekend. I have rinsed my gravel, canister filter, I threw away my media and filter pads and got new media and everything. I cleaned my aquarium with a white vinegar water combo. Today I am finishing my custom stand for it as I have it on cinder blocks right now and then I am gonna finish setting everything back up again. However, just in the interest of making sure this never happens again I am gonna post a couple pictures of the ammonia I got at ace hardware to make sure it is the correct stuff.

• TrevorB206
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

sorry I know it is hard to see the label is too wide and I couldn't get the other side in the picture. But this is the Ace hardware janitorial strength ammonia that was recommended to me. I just wanted to make sure this is the good kind right?

Yes that is the same one that I have.

• TrevorB206
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Okay awesome. So I finished building my custom stand last night. Which means I am all set to get my aquarium all up and running again today. Before I do this I did want to ask you though. I threw away all the pads and media and replaced it all inside my canister filter. I was just wondering originally when I setup my canister filter I didn't use carbon and did not intend to. I have heard some bad things about using carbon. But would it be a good idea to use carbon during the cycling process now just in case? I have been told it might be a good idea. Even though I rinsed everything thoroughly multiple times. Thanks again im super excited to get this done.

carbon will adsorb ammonia and slow down the cycling process. You can use it for a couple of weeks before the cycling process.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds