125 gallon upgrade!!

• Josh7
  • Josh7's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Josh7 created the topic: 125 gallon upgrade!!

Well everyone it's been a long time since I have been here I can tell you this in the last 3. Almsot 4 years I have learned a lot about fish keeping. I unfortunately lost my oscar in my 75 3 months ago he got to 10 inches at the end of it and died of a tumor it was very upsetting. But i still have my 75 and my fish In it. But they will be moving into a 125 I get in April. So here's what I'm thinking a black sand bottom I will move both my emperor 400s to the 125 and add a Rena xp2 as well. As far as my stocking goes I will be keeping 4 silver dollars which are still rather small, and a feature in catfish, and a fire mouth so I was hoping I could throw in a tiger oscar with them and maybe 1 more silver dollar.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: 125 gallon upgrade!!

Hi there, nice to see you back. 175 gallons, that sounds awesome, I had a 125 gallon some years ago and it was absolutely fantastic. With the benefit of hindsight, 125 gallons is just about the most perfect tank anyone can help. They are readily available, you can keep two Oscars (minimal tank mates) and they are easy to maintain.

Let me give you a bit of advice, think twice about black substrate. I had black substrate in my 300 gallon tank and it did make the aquarium quite dark. So unless you've got really good lighting I would stick with fairly light coloured substrate.

Good luck, we look forward to seeing photos

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: 125 gallon upgrade!!

125 gal with an oscar and a pack of 5 SD schooling is really cool...
i am more of bare bottom guys for easy maintenance...
so i am of no use about it LOL!

• Josh7
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Josh7 replied the topic: 125 gallon upgrade!!

Yeah I am already planning on the black substrate just because that's what I have in the 75 gallon so it will all be moving plus another 50 pounds. But anyways do you all think this is a full 125 or could I add another smallet cichlid?
I'm thinking maybe
The 4 silver dollars I have
1 featherfin I have
The firemouth I have
1 oscar and maybe 1 blue acara?

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: 125 gallon upgrade!!

Personally, I think it is pretty full. If you are willing to do the work, I would squeeze in at least 2 silver dollars.

• Josh7
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Sounds good and just curious does anyone know a silver dollars growth rate mine are not growing very fast at all. I have no idea why honestly and OK I hope to be able to get away with weekly 50 percent water changes so maybe just add 1 more silver dollar.

It depends on how much they get to eat. They can grow pretty fast when they eat will.

If you add one more silver dollar, there is a chance the school will reject the loner.

• Josh7
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Ok well I don't want that and I might need to start supplying,vegetables more often they just have went from about 1 inch to 3.5 the biggest is like 4 in 5 almost 6 months...... But ok I really like bottom feeders but i don't know if my large feather fin would accept another bottom dweller.

Your featherfin is gonna be huge in 3 years, around 8" long and 3" fat....do not add another bottom feeder unless you remove something else.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds