New 125, thoughts on filtration

• Boat72
  • Boat72's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Boat72 created the topic: New 125, thoughts on filtration

I made an impulse purchase last night and brought home a new 125 gallon aquarium. I had a red Oscar in college (over 20 years ago), moved home and within a few weeks my mom opened the lid to feed him and he jumped out. Needless to say, he never recovered. I have missed that fish ever since, so last night I made the decision the rectify that.
I wanted to ask the group their opinion on a Eheim Pro 3, 2180. I was thinking about purchasing one of those. I've read a few posts on here that many folks love the AquaClear 110. I was going to get one of those as well.
I was looking to purchase a red and a tiger with no other fish. I know how messy my previous Oscar was, so I was wondering if this would be sufficient? Technology sure has changed since my last tank!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: New 125, thoughts on filtration

Hello and welcome to OFL. Tank is 6ftx18in? Good Oscar tank. I would suggest final filtration include 2 Aquaclears, but not really necessary until fish get on some size. Most important thing with a new from scratch setup is to be fully cycled before adding fish. Are you up on the nitrogen cycle and how it works in the aquarium? There may be a secondary issue of fish compatibility, but first and foremost is a healthy environment.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Boat72
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Boat72 replied the topic: New 125, thoughts on filtration

Yes, tank is 72"x18". I've been reading about tank cycling, but I'm not sure what will be easiest. The fish less or with fish. I just read someone posted on here, may have been you, to add 2 pieces of raw shrimp.
The eheim 2180 with a second AquqClear will be sufficient? Would you suggest anything else?

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: New 125, thoughts on filtration

Yes, the can and 2 hob will be good. Do not use shrimp. Decaying fish/food will spawn heterotrophic bacteria, which will compete with the nitrifying bacteria you are wanting. You can use fish in, but not cichlids. Will take several dozen hearty fellas like giant danios to get the process rolling. Easier is a fishless cycle using hardware store ammonia. Couple members are undertaking this very thing. Peruse their threads, they are doing it right, but requires patience. Couple months worth. For what its worth, I am not an Eheim fan. Classic series ok, the rest overpriced imo. Best bang for the buck is the Fluval FX6.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Boat72
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Boat72 replied the topic: New 125, thoughts on filtration

Ammonia it is. Appreciate the help. Thank you.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds