Need Advice on New Oscar Fish Setup

• Saffron5
  • Saffron5's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Saffron5 created the topic: Need Advice on New Oscar Fish Setup

I recently got a 75 gallon aquarium, it's cycling right now. I plan on getting an oscar. Currently the tank only has one large HOB filter, but I plan on getting a ehiem 2217 canister filter. I'm looking into heaters right now and I want a 250w Aqeuon Pro heater (shatterproof). Tell me if I'm missing something btw. As for food I'm going to get Hikari Cichlid Pellets (mini) Bio-Gold. I'm not really sure what type of decorations I should use. I was just going to use big rocks tbh, will a baby oscar need more coverage though? If anyone has any advice on how to improve my plan or take care of oscars in general, it would be much appreciated. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Need Advice on New Oscar Fish Setup

For the pellets, I would get the baby pellets or 1mm. The bio-gold mini will still be too large for ~ 2" oscar baby to swallow whole.

I would get size #20 sand for the oscar. You could put in like a large 4" diameter PVC pipe temporarily. When the oscar gets to around 4-5" it more likely won't hide anymore.

www.homedepot.com/p/4-in-PVC-Hub-x-Hub-x-Hub-Tee-4P01/100170616

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Need Advice on New Oscar Fish Setup

Hello and welcome to OFL. If the 75 is a permanent home, plan on keeping both filters. Oscar does like to get behind something for sleep time. Little fella will appreciate some hiding spots while he gets settled. I dont think you need a 250w heater, I use a 150 on a 75, but certainly no harm in going with the extra wattage.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 4

Shaun70 replied the topic: Need Advice on New Oscar Fish Setup

In my experience, having too much real estate in the tank changes over time. When my O was a baby, all good. As she grew, bit by bit things came out. When they are large, the more space the better and less chance of injury. They are clumsy when they are large and tend to bump and scrape on things, especially if they are pointy like branches on driftwood etc. My O is 10 inches now and I have a piece of wood in the tank for my plecos, you think she would remember that crashing into it can cause unhappiness, NOPE not a chance.

I would look at things that are flat and smooth and don't take up too much space and water volume.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds