250lt to small??

• Mik3y88
  • Mik3y88's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Mik3y88 created the topic: 250lt to small??

Hi all
I'm new to Oscar fish but had tanks for a couple of years. Recently purchased a 250 litre tank, I was hoping to house a single oscar as I love the idea of a wet pet. However I have been told by a few different people that my tank wouldn't be big enough for an adult oscar despite most sites this one included saying a 55g (around 210lt) is the minimum which is why I went for the 250lt.
Is this true?? Would a adult oscar be ok in my tank.
If not could you recommend any other 'wet pets' for my tank.
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: 250lt to small??

250 UK litre is actually slightly under what we would recommend for one single adult Oscar. However, with good filtration and plenty of tank maintenance you would probably be able to keep the fish injured condition.

If this is the largest tank you can have then I would probably point you in the direction of smaller cichlids that you can buy. There are quite a lot that don't get any bigger than 6 inches. Your tank would be much better suited to the smaller species of cichlids backspace.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: 250lt to small??

Hello again. Tank footprint is more important than volume. I suggested on your other thread that the 65 would be too small after a year or so, and I based that on the assumption that the tank is only 12in wide. A cichlid should only be 75% long as a tank is wide. Therefore an 8in fish would be pushing the limits of a 12in wide tank. A foot long fish should not be in a 12in tank, and Oscar can easily reach 12ins in a year. The newer recommendation fir a single Oscar is a 48x18 tank base and 75gals. Imo, that is still too small for a very large Oscar, over a foot long. To really keep an Oscar long term, see it to its full potential of growth color and longevity, a 6ft tank of 120 or more gals is more suitable. A 14in Oscar in a 6ft 125 is by no means out of place, in fact will make that tank look not so big. If the 65 is the best you can or are willing to do, I suggest smaller fish. Something that may top out around 8-10ins. Jack Dempsey is an easy to care for, popular fish. There are hundreds of options.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Mik3y88
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Mik3y88 replied the topic: 250lt to small??

Ok so my tank dimensions are
Length : 48"
Width : 16"
Height : 20"

If this is indeed to small for an Oscar. (Gutted)

Are there any other cichlids that would fit the same criteria I was looking for in a oscar, namely personable and lively, happy to see caregiver, possibly hand fed.
I don't really want a community tank as I already have 2 was looking at more of a single fish or possibly a couple.
I kinda had my heart set on an Oscar so not really done much research on any other types of fish.

Your tank is right around what we recommend as a minimum. I dont want to give you the impression that its absolutely no good. Having kept Oscars for several decades, seeing how big they get, how well they do in a bigger tank, I always recommend as big as possible. Like I said previous there are tons of fish that offer a similar wet pet experience, without the large size of Oscars. Google South and Central American cichlids, see what catches your eye. Come on back, someone with some experience with what you like will offer some input. You may also want to base your decision on your water. Softer, acidic more SA friendly. Harder alkaline is more Central preferred. High Ph, harder still is African cichlid friendly

• Mik3y88
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Hi.
So I've been looking around at other smaller fish and really like the look of green terrors.
Would my tank be ok for a GT.
Also would it be best to keep it alone or could I have a few tank mates maybe a couple of convicts or firemouths?

GT is good choice. They are a slow growing fish and you could likely have another small cichlid or two with it. NOT several. There will be a time though when GT will require the entire tank to itself. If you are wanting several fish, look into the dwarf cichlid lines. Bosemani Rainbows, Bolivian Rams. You could house a dozen or so of these colorful cichlids in your tank.

• Thank you received: 4

Shaun70 replied the topic: 250lt to small??

I have kept my O in a 200ltr (55g) for 2 years. MASSIVE battle to keeps Nitrates down, I spend at least 2 hours a day on the tank. An increase of 50ltrs for me would still be not enough. I have begun the first stages of putting together a 90 gallon plus 26 gallon sump. Tank dimensions of main tank are 48x18x24. She'll be in there with a 10cm bristlenose and 2 L066 King tigers 10cm.

She's been letting me know how pissed she is in there and giving me grief over having a new tank upgrade. I keep telling her, only a month to go!

• Mik3y88
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

How about a couple of severum. I like the banded severum but apparently they are quite rare to find in LFS.
Maybe a 2 gold or greens with a few shoaling fish black skirt tetras or barbs?

Sevs are a great fish to keep. What you need to do in your fish search is know how big they get as adults and how much water they need. Sevs average 7-8ins, some can get to 10+. Now ask yourself would you keep such a fish in 30 gals? 2 Sevs in your tank equals just about that. One plus a school of tetras would be far more reasonable. You just dont have the tank size for 2 cichlids in the 8in range. You must also be aware that mixing cichlids is always a coin toss, never a sure thing, even with milder species like Severum. One medium cichlid and perhaps a small school of something small and non-cichlid would have far better odds of working out. You could even do a bottom feeder like a Raphael Catfish or species of fancy pleco. NOT, the huge beasts,lol.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds