2 Oscars in a 75 gallon tank

• Thank you received: 10

acdcking12 replied the topic: 2 Oscars in a 75 gallon tank

I have had fish tanks for over 30 years. I enjoy the water changes. I have just the one tank, so that helps.
There has been a few times where I just don't feel like doing them. I normally throw in a capful of Prime and do the water change the following evening.

If I need to be gone for a few days, (will happen in Jan), I do 90% water changes every day for the week prior to me being gone, and don't feed him 2 days before I leave. And I make sure to do a water change with Fresh prime on the day of the trip.

Worst case, I have my Father in Law who I taught to do water changes for me. So I can fall back on him too. But because my fish is that important to me, I typically am not gone too long.

This is how I look at it. if you are going to have fish, water changes is part of it. If you hate doing them, eventually you will quit doing them as often as needed and the fish will suffer. I like doing them because it pisses my fish off. (In another thread I have complained and also been thrilled because my Oscar is an asshole fish). So when I can turn the tide and piss him off vs him attacking me, I am all over it. But either way, water changes lets you interact with your fish more and I like seeing my Oscar look as good as he can. He might hate the water changes, but it is the best thing for him.

if there ever comes a time when I cannot do them anymore, (Im 44), then I will either hire someone to do them for me, or I'll get out of the hobby. I have a feeling it will be the former. I hope this explains me and why I do what I do. Even if it might be a bit excessive. :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vibs
The topic has been locked.
  • Vibs
  • Vibs's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Vibs replied the topic: 2 Oscars in a 75 gallon tank

acdcking12 wrote: I have had fish tanks for over 30 years. I enjoy the water changes. I have just the one tank, so that helps.
There has been a few times where I just don't feel like doing them. I normally throw in a capful of Prime and do the water change the following evening.

If I need to be gone for a few days, (will happen in Jan), I do 90% water changes every day for the week prior to me being gone, and don't feed him 2 days before I leave. And I make sure to do a water change with Fresh prime on the day of the trip.

Worst case, I have my Father in Law who I taught to do water changes for me. So I can fall back on him too. But because my fish is that important to me, I typically am not gone too long.

This is how I look at it. if you are going to have fish, water changes is part of it. If you hate doing them, eventually you will quit doing them as often as needed and the fish will suffer. I like doing them because it pisses my fish off. (In another thread I have complained and also been thrilled because my Oscar is an asshole fish). So when I can turn the tide and piss him off vs him attacking me, I am all over it. But either way, water changes lets you interact with your fish more and I like seeing my Oscar look as good as he can. He might hate the water changes, but it is the best thing for him.

if there ever comes a time when I cannot do them anymore, (Im 44), then I will either hire someone to do them for me, or I'll get out of the hobby. I have a feeling it will be the former. I hope this explains me and why I do what I do. Even if it might be a bit excessive. :-)

30 years...... wow..... ok few more questions...
1. Have any of your O's ever bitten you while changing water?
2. This prime sounds good. it helps in keeping the nitrates down?
3. Not going on long vacs.. thats bad.. I'm from India.. my family (brothers) are in the UK.. I will be visiting them for 8 days... I have a 30 gall tank.. can I keep my Oscar pair in that? coz that will be with one of my students.. (me-40y.o. post grad teacher). How often will he need to change the water? 9 inch pair.
  • Thank you received: 10

acdcking12 replied the topic: 2 Oscars in a 75 gallon tank

The only fish that has ever bitten me is the one I have now. If my hand is in the water, he is all over it. I love it. :-)
Prime is the best out there. What it does it negate nitrites and nitrates. Last 48 hours or so. Then it starts wearing off and can affect the fish's health. Hence why I do a water change every other day. It keeps me from worrying about the nitrates I am putting into the tank from my tap water. Wouldn't need to do all of this if I didnt have Nitrates in my water.
Unfortunately, you really need, at minimum, a 55 gallon tank for ONE Oscar. A pair of Oscars in a 30 Gallon tank really isn't going to work. You can't change enough water to keep the chemistry balanced. Plus they would be way over crowded. Unfortunately, they will suffer for it.

They both need at least a 90 gallon and really a 125 Gallon tank is optimal. Sorry to give you bad news.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vibs
  • Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: 2 Oscars in a 75 gallon tank

I notice from prowling around different forums that you have joined that you get the same responses from everybody. You are always polite and give the impression you are paying attention. You are really not. Your tanks, all of them, are far too small for the fish you have. Its simple... a single adult Oscar needs a 75gal tank to itself. Period. Asking if you can cram 2 in a 30g is basically animal cruelty. You will never get an "OK" from this forum concerning your fishkeeping methods. Prove to us that you are willing to do a far better job at the hobby, or I will politely ask you to leave. BTW, I read your Parrot/RD thread on MFK. Just pitiful, the whole thing.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!
  • Vibs
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Suprd71 wrote: I notice from prowling around different forums that you have joined that you get the same responses from everybody. You are always polite and give the impression you are paying attention. You are really not. Your tanks, all of them, are far too small for the fish you have. Its simple... a single adult Oscar needs a 75gal tank to itself. Period. Asking if you can cram 2 in a 30g is basically animal cruelty. You will never get an "OK" from this forum concerning your fishkeeping methods. Prove to us that you are willing to do a far better job at the hobby, or I will politely ask you to leave. BTW, I read your Parrot/RD thread on MFK. Just pitiful, the whole thing.

ok.. first of all.. I am seriously trying to figure things out..
secondly, it was the folks at the other forum who were FIRST rude to me to begin with.. THE CLOSET AND FARTING THING REALLY GOT TO ME.. and tried trolling me and stuff.. thirdly, I HAVE RETURNED OR GIVEN AWAY MOST OF MY FISH after reading some of these forums.. maybe you did not read that.. In fact I have posted a video on one of the forums showing them that I ACTUALLY listened to their advice..
In this current situation I have only asked if I can keep the 2 oscars in a 30 gall for 8 days... when I am not around.. because I cannot shift my 100 gall to somebody's house..
Finally if you still think I should leave.. then I will.. just tell me how to go about it.. or maybe you can do it for me..because I seriously think I don't have to prove anything to anyone.. It's my fish & my hobby.. I'm just collecting some expert opinions..

Whats most irritating is that while collecting expert opinions.. lets not even call it that, lets be real and call them solid facts, you bounce from one forum to another looking for validation and some positives to your methods. However.. one more stab... do a massive water change on the 100gal as late as possible before your trip. Leave the Oscars in the 100. Big water change when you get back. Toss that 30g, or at least sell it. It cant hold an Oscar, let alone 2 for ANY period of time. You were advised long ago about the stress issue keeping fish in cramped quarters. Advice ignored. This is where I get impatient.

• Vibs
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Suprd71 wrote: Whats most irritating is that while collecting expert opinions.. lets not even call it that, lets be real and call them solid facts, you bounce from one forum to another looking for validation and some positives to your methods. However.. one more stab... do a massive water change on the 100gal as late as possible before your trip. Leave the Oscars in the 100. Big water change when you get back. Toss that 30g, or at least sell it. It cant hold an Oscar, let alone 2 for ANY period of time. You were advised long ago about the stress issue keeping fish in cramped quarters. Advice ignored. This is where I get impatient.

Anything wrong with arguing? Well I teach students from the age of 25 - 50.. and I have always told them not to believe in anything until they are convinced.. and I let them challenge me whenever they want.. as much as they want.. I have spent 6 hours with single students trying to show them why things are the way they are.. anyways thats me..
Coming back to the issue.. I have not gone anywhere on long vacations for over a year.. thanks to these fish..(not complaining).. so I'm looking for a way out..
@Suprd71... I think you should ease me out of this forum.. because you are doing the same thing that the MFK folks did (getting personal and offensive)..maybe because you are a member there and I may have offended some good people you know.. I really hope I DON'T see my name here tomorrow.. In fact I will request the moderators to do it for me..

I have not once gotten personal with you. My only purpose on this forum as a moderator is to correct mistakes, offer solid advice and promote sound fishkeeping practises. I have an MFK account as do over 100,000 people. I do not use the forum, could care less of whether or not you offend anyone over there. Yes there is something wrong with arguing, especially when you have no facts or experience to support your argument. FYI, I have been keeping Oscars longer than you have been alive. I wish you and your fish the best of luck. Goodbye.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: 2 Oscars in a 75 gallon tank

Vibs wrote: Anything wrong with arguing? Well I teach students from the age of 25 - 50.. and I have always told them not to believe in anything until they are convinced.. and I let them challenge me whenever they want.. as much as they want.. I have spent 6 hours with single students trying to show them why things are the way they are.. anyways thats me..
Coming back to the issue.. I have not gone anywhere on long vacations for over a year.. thanks to these fish..(not complaining).. so I'm looking for a way out..
@Suprd71... I think you should ease me out of this forum.. because you are doing the same thing that the MFK folks did (getting personal and offensive)..maybe because you are a member there and I may have offended some good people you know.. I really hope I DON'T see my name here tomorrow.. In fact I will request the moderators to do it for me..

after reading all the post here, all i can see is that you want to prove that you can keep a pair of oscar ina 30 gal tank... or you can keep 5 oscars in a 75 gal tank... is that right? i am also from asia and i have done several experiment of the same condition... 2 oscars in a 35 gal tank... the fish did not grow beyond 8" for 3 years... the same fish was releases in 220 gal tank and it had spurt growth breaching the 12" mark in 6 months.

my point is ... if you are happy to keep your fish that way, you can do it... but do not impose the same here because the community is trying to make things right. have you able to breed oscar? i am not into breeding by at some point, my oscars spawned and produced fingerlings...
  • Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: 2 Oscars in a 75 gallon tank

@ Vibs, can you post any picture of your fish.... if you will notice..most people here are very roud of their fish. me for one is... look at my fish at my signature... they are all normal ordinary oscars but i love them very much!

by the way, if you had been bashed at MFK, that is because they too do not agree with your ideas.

we may keep your posting to remain to show the community that we do allow posting of different ideas contrary to what we believe in... it will be up to their discretion to try your concept of fish keeping.

on vacation things, i had taken 30 days vacation in Europe and no fish had died under the watch of our caretaker. i just list down "things to do" and call them from time to time. for your info... i have 20 pcs full grown oscars, several pangasius, gar, tsn, aowana, bichirs, flowerhorn, turtles, and reticulating python.
Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds