New tank sort of

• Usnavalaec
  • Usnavalaec's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Usnavalaec created the topic: New tank sort of

So I bought a 125 gallon setup off of someone we drained it mostly took it to my place and I filled it with water should I still wait for cycling? I did all tests and all are low or 0 my other question is someone said not to mix tiger Oscar with chiclids but petsmart lists it as a tiger Oscar chiclid is petsmart wrong? Other sites say you can mix a tiger Oscar and chiclids this is my plan just making sure I can

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 9

muddybear replied the topic: New tank sort of

If the tank has been running (and has been stocked) it should still be cycled-BUT-the fact that you say tests are low or close to 0 rings a few alarms!
Firstly-don't rush straight out and get a fish-all the Oscars in the world are not going to disappear over the next few weeks!

If your set up is cycled, readings should be as follows: Ammonia=0 Nitrite=0, Nitrate 5+ (this is the component which is managed through water changes). If your readings are anything other DO NOT ADD FISH.

What are you using to test your water? A liquid test kit (API master kit) is recommended-avoid test strips. Could you post your water test results?

Let's assume that your tank is not yet cycled-set it up, get it running and then follow the "fishless cycle" process until your test readings are in line with those above. As the tank has recently been in use this may be a shortened process-maybe just a few days to kickstart a stalled cycle-either way it is important to establish your biological filter before adding swimmers-a little patience=healthy fish, rushing=problems.

Regarding your cichlid question. An Oscar IS a cichlid. I think the confusion probably comes from advice regarding mixing cichlids, that is a whole other discussion! Have a read around and then post the sort of stock that you have in mind, we can then help you pick through it and decide. Keep in mind that if you opt for an Oscar (or other large cichlid) your tankmate choices will be limited.

• Usnavalaec
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Usnavalaec replied the topic: New tank sort of

The biological filter I get but all we did was remove water at his place drive it to mine and add water used all his stuff his substrate his filter etc just drained water moved it filled water

The only explanation I have for that is that the tank was not properly cycled before you drained the water. Do you know how long previous to this had the stock been removed from the tank? It doesn't take a great deal of time for a cycle to begin to stall.

Either way-you need to cycle your setup before adding fish-readings need to be as previously mentioned (Ammonia=0, Nitrite=0, Nitrate>0)

Do you have a liquid test kit? Can you post your results?

The sooner you start this process, the sooner you will be able to add fish without problems. Are you familiar with the fishless cycle process?

• Usnavalaec
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Usnavalaec replied the topic: New tank sort of

Yes liquid test nitrate 0 nitrite 0 ammonia 0 ph 8.2 stock was removed about 15 mins before we drained the tank so stock was gone from tank for approximately 90 mins

Ok-ammonia and nitrite at 0 is perfect however, nitrate should never read 0. If your biological filter is functioning correctly its waste product is nitrate.
So-1 of 2 things is happening. You either have a completely uncycled set up OR your nitrate test is inaccurate.

Are you using the API kit? If so, try the test again but shake the f*** out of the solutions (especially no2) before adding to water. I have no idea why but this is something that commonly returns quirky results.

Have another go and re-post.

Also keep in mind that in order to maintain your cycle before stocking, you will need to feed your filter. I would recommend not wasting your time with products that claim to add bacteria and simply plumb for pure ammonia.

A complete 100% water change before adding swimmers and you should be good to go.

Any more thoughts on stock?

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: New tank sort of

Something to be very aware of.. the higher the Ph, the more harmful any toxins in the water become. Your 8.2 is quite high and far off from Oscar's comfort zone. Any traces of ammonia or nitrite in 8.2 water will cause major chronic ill effects on any cichlid you choose. Make certain you have absolute zero on ammonia, nitrite, but some showing of nitrate. I see no mention of filter brand or size. To raise a healthy, large cichlid in 125g, you will need what some folks refer to as excessive filtration. Efficient canister and hob combo is my preferred filter for tanks of this size range.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds