Getting positive effects from plants

• PeG
  • PeG's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

PeG created the topic: Getting positive effects from plants

Everyone knows that aquarium plants have positive effects on the water for various reasons. With an Oscar that becomes a bit more complicated to achieve so I have a couple of thoughts that people here probably have experience from so feedback would be appreciated.

My first thought was to use plants like the monstera that can have its roots into the aquarium while keeping leaves etc above water. If the Oscar or silver dollars that I plan to use as tankmates eats the roots those can potentially be protected by growing behind the background in the run off to the sump etc. Anyone that knows if they will actually eat the roots?

My second thought was to arrange for light in the sump. It consists of several parts in which I currently have both mechanical and biological filtration as well as space for heaters, thermometers and other equipment. If I put some led lights in there I might be able to have a few fast growing aquarium plants for improving water quality and at the same time grow some food for the silver dollars. Light could run on the same timers etc that I use for the main tank.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Getting positive effects from plants

Aquaponics is I believe the term used for keeping plants in a system where they are used to soak up nitrates.

The biggest problem with plants is keeping them alive. They need lots of light but they also need to be fed on a regular basis. To be perfectly honest with you may find that it's easier to actually carry out water changes in order to keep nitrates low. Keeping enough plants in order to soak up all the nitrates could prove to be rather expensive at the end of the day.

However, if this is what you want to do I'm sure that somebody who has experience with keeping plants healthy will be able to help.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• PeG
  • PeG's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

PeG replied the topic: Getting positive effects from plants

I am not hoping to avoid water changes but maybe get some additional improvement. Testing a monstrera in my current tank that seem to be happy and the bioload in that tank is smaller than it will be with an Oscar.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Getting positive effects from plants

i am not familiar with monstrera... i am using pothos in my DIY filter... having them for many years...

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.252 seconds