Would a 100cm (40 inch) tank be enough ?

• toni-a
  • toni-a's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22

toni-a created the topic: Would a 100cm (40 inch) tank be enough ?

It has been a long time I have stopped posting here after some aggressive posts, here I am again hope things go well this time.
I am restarting a new fish tank at my new house, I would like the 120cm (47 inch) tank but it will be closing the way a little so I am considering a 100 cm (40 inch) it's in fact 100X45X80 (95 gallons) I known volume is vastly enough, but what about the length ?
I already have in other tanks an upside down, a Raphael catfish and a clown loach all of them are bottom dwellers and bringing any of them would make my tank look empty, I was considering the frontosa plus a tankmate what would you suggest ? would a severum work ?
my other option would be convict cichlids since they are small and breed a lot, that would be quite a pleasure to watch for toddlers
what would you suggest for my new setup ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Would a 100cm (40 inch) tank be enough ?

Nice to see you again, the website is very quiet nowadays, I blame social media.

95 gallons is a nice size aquarium. It's good for lots of small community fish around the size of tetras. However, when it comes to keeping much larger fish it can really only accommodates one or two.

The Frontosa will need about 70 gallons to itself. So you can rule out keeping a severum because that will need a minimum of 50 gallons to itself.

I've never kept African fish before. I believe that Frontosa prefer to be in larger groups so maybe that's a fish that you should rule out. You could consider keeping the one severum and maybe a couple of smaller cichlids such as a blue acara, or maybe a fire mouth.

I'm sure somebody else will have some suggestions

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Would a 100cm (40 inch) tank be enough ?

I would agree with OFL in that a 90ish gallon tank is a respectable volume, but the actual footprint isn't really good for bigger fish. A group of smaller fish would do well. Re your Convict idea, yes they will do fine, but they are prolific breeders and quite nasty while rearing young. Any other fish would be in peril. You could try for a mix of all males. Maybe Con, Firemouth, Sajica, Nicaraguan. Fish that stay under 6ins. Frontosa is a very big no. A large fish, prefers groups and being Lake Tanganyikan heritage, does best in very high Ph, high alkaline water.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!
The following user(s) said Thank You: toni-a

• toni-a
  • toni-a's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22

toni-a replied the topic: Would a 100cm (40 inch) tank be enough ?

Actually my water is very alkaline that's why I have a tendency to go african.
I have a very young daughter and want her to enjoy the fish tank when she can walk that's why I chose a tank with a very low base so she can actually see the fish inside, my choices are limited with the availability of tanks.
I want a busy fish tank that will grab her attention.
Are breeding convicts active enough ?? I tried before with red jewels with a lot of decorations but they were hiding all the time, and now my frontosa found itself a nice home it barely leaves I guess it will be staying there

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Would a 100cm (40 inch) tank be enough ?

With African friendly water, and wanting activity for your daughter, a batch of Malawi Mbuna would be perfect. Great colors, non stop action. Do your research, mixing them is a gamble as they are quite the rowdy fish. Once you get a good group, they are very rewarding.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds