How do I pick up my Oscar to move him without hurting him?

• sarah21212
  • sarah21212's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

sarah21212 created the topic: How do I pick up my Oscar to move him without hurting him?

I wasn’t quite sure which category to put this in so I hope this works. I got a new 65 gallon tank for my Oscar several weeks ago and it is now cycled and ready for him to be put in it. My Oscar is about 9.5 inches long and very strong. What is the best way to get him out of his current tank and into the new one without hurting him? He only has to travel about 10 feet across a room.

I had bought a 4 quart bucket from Home Depot thinking he’d fit in it. Earlier today I attempted the move by trapping him against a wall with the bucket. But he freaked out so hard that he made a ton of splashing and probably would’ve jumped out of the tank if I hadn’t been holding a piece of cardboard over the top. He got a bunch of scratches on his head from hitting the bucket and the edge of the tank. So now he is still in his old tank. He’s definitely a jumper but I don’t want to him to hurt himself from moving too much so I could really use some advice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

DRACO replied the topic: How do I pick up my Oscar to move him without hurting him?

welcome to the community!

first and foremost, you should have a good net whenever moving fish from one tank to another
lower the level of water from the existing tank for easy netting...
slowly net the fish and that's it!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 2.818 seconds