First Oscar tank

• Thank you received: 599

Suprd71 replied the topic: First Oscar tank

While Eheim does have a long standing reputation for quality and durability, I have always passed on them due to what I believe is over pricing. A Fluval FX4 costs probably something like $150 less than the Pro 2078. Has a significantly higher flow rate, possibly holds more media. Best bang for the buck to filter big(150+g) tanks is the Fluval FX6. Holds 9lbs of media, has a gph of about 900. Quiet and reliable. I have several, all perform superbly. Another suggestion if I may... 150g tanks are as I know either 60x24x24ins or 72x18x27ins. Far better, slightly larger is the standard 72x24x24in 180US gal. Big fish do so much better with extra space. You can(and I do) filter a 180 with an FX6 and a pair of AC110 hobs.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 237

Noddy replied the topic: First Oscar tank

I think the Crystal Profis are the Dutch equivalent of your Fluvals, good quality and functionality for a way better price than the Eheims.
Totally agreed on the 180Gl tank!
I'm still glad I took that advice back in the days, when I was told to get a tank as big as would fit on the wall in my living room which I had reserved for my fish tank. Getting a 180Gl saved me the need for an upgrade and the extra cost of getting that one, instead of a 150Gl was minimal.
180Gl is still the best size for keeping Oscars IMO, and keeping the waterparameters in check is so much easier compared to keeping O's in smaller tanks.

The OP is getting ready for his 75Gl tank, while we already see his future in oscarfishkeeping!??

• Mad_Max68
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Mad_Max68 replied the topic: First Oscar tank

The only reason I'm not going bigger than a 75g is because I don't have room for any bigger at the moment.. my wife and I are in the process of designing our house that will start being built in the summer of 2019 in that house I will be able to do a lot bigger if a 180 is best as an Oscar tank then that's what I will plan for... we will also have 2 other tanks in the house we are planning an 500-700 gallon corner tank in our bedroom but this will be a saltwater tank. We will also have the 75g which we have decided to do an African cichlid tank after the Oscar gets his new home!!

• Thank you received: 237

Noddy replied the topic: First Oscar tank

Ok, wow...
Here we are, thinking big and here you are, dreaming bigger! ?
That's quite a future plan, sounds Lovely! If you have the resources and space in your new home for a 180Gl , you won't regret it. And your future Oscar will love that for sure.
Do you have any experience with SW tanks and fish yet?

• S.S.
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • "Failure is giving anything less than your best"
  • Thank you received: 16

S.S. replied the topic: First Oscar tank

A tank with 72x24x24 is a 180US GAL. I have to use a converter to understand that. It is still confuse to me because some guys here talk in UK GAL while other's in US. With the same size you get only around 150UK GAL.

Such a tank is similar to the one I've had before with 180cmx60cmx65cm and around that 180US GAL mark. A good tank for one Oscar and some tankmates.

About filters I love my FX6 and my Jbl 1501. They should do the job in such a tank but currently they are on my 110US GAL tank the has more or less 65x20x20. It's not that smaller in length but has less 70 GAL and even so I don't consider having too much flow or filtration capacity. The filtration is never too much.

The FX6 isn't cleaned for about one year. The Jbl needs much more maintenance but it's easy to take care of it.

• Mad_Max68
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Mad_Max68 replied the topic: First Oscar tank

I don't have experience with the sw tanks but my wife does her parents have 2 of them and my wife has had a few in the past... I will defiantly look into the fluval fx line of filters if I can save some $ and have great filters still that's ano brainer !

boomy replied the topic: First Oscar tank

I only have a 55 gal tank for awhile now I will upgrade when I have the money

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 2.405 seconds