CONVERSION FORMULAS:

Calculations
C = (F-32) / 1.8
F = (C x 1.8) + 32

Liters = Gallons x 3.785
Gallons = Liters / 3.785

cm = inches x 2.54
inches = cm / 2.54

COMMON AQUARIUM SIZES (Metric Conversion Shown)

http://www.aquarium-stand-plans.com/aquarium_size_chart.htm

TABLE OF AQUARIUM CALCULATIONS AND CONVERSIONS

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/information/calculate.htm

http://www.fishlore.com/ConversionCalculator.htm

Ken, 51, NJ-USA (2 Tiger Oscars)
Need to give away one healthy 1 year old Oscar if you know of anyone interested. See the adoption thread for photos. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re:AQUARIUM FACTS, SIZES, WEIGHTS

Good idea. If you go to the links page on this website and then tropical forums/websites that sector, you will find the website I use to calculate tank size. It's very simple, you just enter your aquarium size in inches and it gives you the tank size in gallons for both the UK and USA. There is also one there for litres and various other measurements.

http://www.fishlore.com/ConversionCalculator.htm

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Joliet Jake
  • Joliet Jake's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Joliet Jake replied the topic: Re:AQUARIUM FACTS, SIZES, WEIGHTS

Thanks Penn, I didn't even see the LINKS Tab up above there until you just pointed that out. I took the liberty of adding your link to my post below at the bottom. All good usefull information and especially so since we have an International audience and Membership. I myself will never understand the Metric system except for pressures as I am involved in the field of Hydraulics and learned those conversions a long time ago. As for length and liquid capacity? It's all Greek to me.....:laugh: :P

P.S. I sent you two private messages as today I saw two different home pages here and am confused about how that happened. One computer (work - upstairs) had your photograph and a different home page while my normal computer shows the clown loach? NEVER MIND - I see you are probably in the process of changing the Home Page blurb. One question for you though, What strain of Oscar is that?? :P :blink: :cheer: :laugh: (Joking!!)

Let me add that you are doing an excellent job with this website!

Need to give away one healthy 1 year old Oscar if you know of anyone interested. See the adoption thread for photos. Thanks!

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

When it's nice to have you helping out, that's for sure. I have been looking for someone for a while that could take some of the work load of me. The good thing about you being in America is that you can acknowledge posts when I can't. The one thing I hate doing is leaving someone without an answer. If that was to be done, they would get bored and go elsewhere.

We are getting new members every day, around four or five today I think. I'm also noticing that the amount of hits coming from a search engines is going up and up. Nearly 300 yesterday. This will only get better the longer the website is here.

If you have any ideas then please feel free to voice them. There are lots of good Oscarfish websites out there but the majority of them are just forums. I think it's a good idea to present people with information and then give them the choice of joining the forum if they want. A lot of people just don't like forums or can't be bothered to register.

• Joliet Jake
  • Joliet Jake's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Joliet Jake replied the topic: Re:AQUARIUM FACTS, SIZES, WEIGHTS

If anyone wants to help out, we can draw even more members if we simply join some of those other forums and put the web link from our Forum here in our signature lines over there. It never hurts to share information. I am not a member at others quite yet as I am pretty busy as it is but I do enjoy coming to this one (which is why I joined it in the first place.) I am glad to help out where and when I can. ;)

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

I have done that on a couple of forums but not on one particular forum because there can be a lot of bitchiness going on. A lot of people seem to think that there is only one Oscarfish forum that is worth using and that does rather annoy me. I have been very careful not to plug my website on there because I do use it from time to time and I know what some people can be like.

Oscarfishlover.com is starting to get quite a few external links which is why we are doing quite well on the search engines. External links are the key to getting traffic to the site. Not so much plugging on the other forums but getting your website indexed on fish related information sites.

If you type oscarfishlover.com into Google, you will see what I mean.

lauryn22 replied the topic: Re:AQUARIUM FACTS, SIZES, WEIGHTS

HELP! I have two baby tiger oscars, but I only have a 20 gal tank at the moment. Will they be okay until I can get a larger tank? And what size should I get?

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

If you are going to get a new tank, you need to do it now. It will take at least four or five weeks to cycle it properly, probably up to six weeks. In that time, an Oscar can grow nearly 2 inches believe it or not. How big are your fish at the moment? 20 gallons is absolutely nothing, I've got a 20 gallon tank with five very small fish in there, I'm talking about guppies. I can't imagine trying to keep Oscars in there, it just wouldn't work.

Anyway, you just haven't got any time. Even at three or 4 inches, your tank is going to be too small for the two of them. If you want to keep to Oscars, you should be looking at over 100 gallons. I wished I'd taken some photos of the Oscars I saw today at the local fish door, they were absolutely huge. That will probably make people realise just how big these fish can get. Unfortunately, my Oscars are very big at the moment.

Anyway, don't let anyone tell you different, Oscars need big tanks, two Oscars will definitely need over 100 gallons. You will have people telling you that 75 gallons is okay, it's not, period.

• Verse34K
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • ?????????????
  • Thank you received: 2

Verse34K replied the topic: Re:AQUARIUM FACTS, SIZES, WEIGHTS

OFL and Joliet Jake. I've added this site to my signiture on two other forums.

And that conversion chart is very helpful.

lauryn22 replied the topic: Re:AQUARIUM FACTS, SIZES, WEIGHTS

ok thank you so much. yes quite a few people have said 55 or 75 gallons would be fine. the fish are currently about 2 inches each.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds