Looking for male Jack Dempsey in Indiana, USA

• tjwalley
  • tjwalley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4

tjwalley created the topic: Looking for male Jack Dempsey in Indiana, USA

I've been on the hunt for a male jd with a dark base and lots of spangles. The only ones i'm finding in the stores are females. If anyone from Indiana knows a good pet store i could try, or if u have one u'd like to sell, or even if there's a reputable website u know of that ships live fish safely please let me know!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OscarTheAstronaut
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so.
  • Thank you received: 0

OscarTheAstronaut replied the topic: Re: Looking for male Jack Dempsey in Indiana, USA

forgive my ignorance, but how do you tell a male from female JD? I ended up with one as a rescue recently, and don't know much about JD's. All my experience is with Oscars.

Price check! Clean up, Aisle Six! Rotted body landsliiiiiiiide. And don't forget our special sale on every bone broken chickennnnn! Hurry! Enjoy our tasty hammer smashed face! Uh, Aisle Three.

• mylutino
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • My reality check bounced!
  • Thank you received: 1

mylutino replied the topic: Re: Looking for male Jack Dempsey in Indiana, USA

From my experience the fins don't give you much help when sexing JD. I have had luck with the spangles (dots on body). Look at the face, if the spangles go all the way down the jaw to the gills it's usually a female. If they stop around the jaw ita usually a male.

• OscarTheAstronaut
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

OscarTheAstronaut replied the topic: Re: Looking for male Jack Dempsey in Indiana, USA

Price check! Clean up, Aisle Six! Rotted body landsliiiiiiiide. And don't forget our special sale on every bone broken chickennnnn! Hurry! Enjoy our tasty hammer smashed face! Uh, Aisle Three.

• OscarTheAstronaut
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• tjwalley
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

tjwalley replied the topic: Re: Looking for male Jack Dempsey in Indiana, USA

That looks like a male to me. Lots of spangles on the body is a good indicatot. Pointed fins are another way to tell, but as it was said it's not always the best way. The female i have has pointier fins than some fm jds i've seen online, but not quite as long/pointed as the males generally have.

• OscarTheAstronaut
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Cool. Well this JD was actually given to me as a pair with an Oscar, which he promptly beat within an inch of his life as soon as they were introduced to the new tank. I wasn't there at the time, otherwise it would never have gotten out of control like that. He's a cool fish though. Lotta personality, and since the big brawl, has existed peacefully with the O. Thing is, the tank is just too small for it's contents. We're currently solving the problem, but if you're still looking for one of these, and you plan to give him a good home, I would be down to talk about hooking you up with him. I live in Michigan, and travel ALOT, so there would be a window at some point for me to bring him to Indiana. Maybe I'll even visit my brother at ISU while I'm around the area.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Re: Looking for male Jack Dempsey in Indiana, USA

110% male fish.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• OscarTheAstronaut
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

So IS it the "spangles" that let you know?

• tjwalley
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

tjwalley replied the topic: Re: Looking for male Jack Dempsey in Indiana, USA

I definetly got the room for him if u wanna relocate him! He looks like he's in great shape.it wouldnt be a problem to meet u on a weekend, south bend is about 40 minutes north of me on 31, how far into michigan are u?

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds